How can I convince my parents to let me get a 2nd guitar?

I have been playing guitar for over a year. I enjoy it very much. I have a Ibanez AF75VSB AF Artcore, which is a great guitar, but it is a beginner guitar, but I want a Stratocaster. A Strat has a larger range of tones, and is more playable. My parents say I don't need it, and my works just fine. I have money to pay for it, But they won't let me get it! Pls help!

It sounds like you are experiencing the early symptoms of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Nothing wrong with that, but your parents are unaffected by the syndrome, and are trying to be sensible. I notice that you aren't asking them to buy the Strat, just *allow* you to buy it with your own money.  Good for you.

Have your parents told what they hope you will save your money for? Perhaps college?  It's understandable that your parents want to exercise some parental control over your savings.  They want to protect you from doing stupid stuff with your money, and also teach you perspective and the value of money. That's in their job description,  but certainly *some* of your money can be used for frivolous purposes.  You might try to establish what portion of your 'income' can be used fun stuff...movies, concerts, etc.  Then start saving up *that* money until you can buy the Strat. That's one strategy, anyway.

Let's talk about your guitar.  It's not a "beginner" guitar.  Being a hollow body with humbuckers, it's definitely the polar opposite of a Strat. Any decently made guitar can be made to play like butter, so I'm not sure how you think it's any less playable than a Strat. However, that *is* a huge difference in tone, and the Strat has a whammy bar. Have you tried explaining that to your parents...the logic approach?

Once you get the Strat, will you ever want to play the Ibanez?  If not, you might consider a trade.  Either an outright swap privately, or a trade-in at the music store. You could also consider splitting the coils in your pickups (or installing pickups that will let you do this).  That way, you could have a switch to convert your pickups to single coil for thinner, twangy tone. There are lots of wiring diagrams on the web for this. You wouldn't have a Strat, but you would have a lot of extra tones available.

I wish you luck.

Your Ibanez AF75VSB AF Artcore is a $400 guitar, hardly a beginner's guitar. I own the slightly more expensive AF95 and it's also a fine guitar. Now I'm hardly one to talk since I own 7 guitars, some of which cost thousands, but if you're not gigging I'm not sure I see the need for the Strat. One possible argument is that your guitar is much more of a jazz guitar than a rock guitar so unless you're not into jazz it's less than the perfect guitar for you.

Good luck!

• Emdog
      3 weeks agoReport

I've got a 95 too. If you don't think has wide enough range of tones, maybe you need a better amp. Also suggest spending $100 or so to get a pair of StewMac Golden age humbuckers. can be coil tapped and vast improvement in tone. My bud, a music pro, said he liked the tone better than from his ES335

Simply tell them that if they don't you'll hold your breath until you cry and go to the bathroom in your trousers. They'll probably believe you as you've probably done it several times before. Hope this helped.

• NONAME

talk to your parents like a man..they will respect that...come up with and idea to pay for it and only ask for half or less of the money