Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

How do I know when my hamster had too much running time ?

My Syren hamster never looks tired when she's out running in her ball she runs for approx 20 minutes then break back in her cage , but how will I know when she's really had enough when I put her back in her cage she's dying to come back out and run but I'm worried she might get too much, how will I know when she's ready to go back home?

Favorite Answer

My hamster would literally run all night on her wheel.  Twenty minutes is nothing.   If she gets tired, she will stop.

When my hamster was in the ball she would chase my cat and bump into her.  Too funny to watch!

There's a hamster running app you can download. It'll tell you when its had enough wheel revolutions.

• Nathan

You should not use a hamster ball - those are highly dangerous snaps can cause serious issues. Please make sure her cage meets the minimum requirement of 100x50cm and she has a solid 11" wheel. That's the smallest a Syrian hamster can have. You need either a playpen or to let her free roam - the hamster ball causes severe stress which can kill her, severe injuries which can kill her and she is unable to eat or drink ( or even stop running) when she wants

• PR

Get a wheel so your hamster can run as much as he needs. Hamsters can run up to 5 miles per day, so how can you actually put a limit on his needs. See this link:

https://www.hamsterwheels.co.uk/pages/how-far-do-h...

Exercise balls should be used sparingly or not at all. She should have a nice big cage that's at least 620 square inches as well as supervised floor time in a playpen for exercise. Bathtubs work well too for floor time. Block the drain, put a towel down and add some toys.