Hard Drive csnt transfer files?

I have a 4TB G drive that I've been using for years. I finally filled it up. I have a new harddrive and wanted to transfer some files, but it always freezes after only a few MB. I tried transgerijg to my desktop and even that wouldn't work. Tried a different cable, tried downloading a firmware update for the drive. It works fine except that I can't transfer files from it. I'm using a MAC. Any suggestions?

mirror software to a larger drive may solve that. [it doesn't require any space to make a temporary copy, which transferring files does.] Or, you could delete some files to make space for the temporary files necessary

• David

I would test the old hard drive for bad sectors. Run crystaldiskinfo (google it) to check the health status of the drive.

• John

Downloading and running Defraggler might help.

• Dick

The problem with a "full hard drive" is that there is no room to write anything and believe it or not, in installing, copying, and moving data you have to write that data to the drive. So the thing you really have to do is to create some room to do that by deleting the "crap" you really don't need at all. And be real ... any 4 TB drive that is full has a ton of crap you don't need on the drive. Do some major deleting of the crap and then give it a try. If you can't transfer any data try getting rid of some more crap and repeat the process until you can transfer data normally. It's a good idea to never fill a HDD (hard drive w/disks) more than 75% or so specifically so you always have room to write date to it. Good luck!

Source(s): 33 Years Computer Experience & IT Support

i've tried to transfer files from iphone to pc and iphone security features prevented me from transferring files. i hate apple.