Boyfriend had hiv and didnt disclose it to me. Can i go to jail also?

When my ex boyfriend and i were together i saw in his call logs alot of calls to a hiv clinic, that was strange and i asked him what was going on and he was just talking in circles. So i just called the hiv clinic and pretended like i was him and they confirmed that he was hiv positive. I have a meeting with the police because im pressing charges against him, however he told me that he is gonna press charges against me for pretending i was him. What do you all think is gonna happen

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

he will be in more trouble than you,, since he should of told you,, now he's put your life in danger!! gave you a future of meds and shame.

• ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Read that again.  There's no "she" here. 
      It's Aaron talking about his ex-boyfriend. 

If they don't live in one of the minority of states that require disclosure, failing to do so breaks no law whatsoever.  Impersonating someone to gain access to their medical records is a crime everywhere.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes, you're both going away for life.

----------

Just in case you're serious with this question, and not just  trolling:

According to the CDC, failure to disclose HIV+ status to a sexual partner is only a crime in 19 U.S. states.  Knowingly GIVING it to someone is a crime everywhere, as it constitutes an actual injury.

Unless you live in one of those 19 states, you have no case against him.

However, HIPAA is federal law, and therefore covers the entire country.  Impersonating someone for the express purpose of accessing protected health records is a crime everywhere in the U.S.

If you live in one of the 31 states or other territories in the U.S. that don't require disclosure, your boyfriend has committed no crime - but you have.

• 1 month ago

If he knew he was HIV+ and he didn't disclose that to you, he could get in serious trouble because this is illegal.

You impersonating him to try to find out the truth is not ethically correct but it isn't illegal, especially because you haven't used that information to harm him. If you had used that info to get him kicked out of a job or evicted, then yes, it'd be a legal issue.

Either way, report him to the police and get tested.

• skeptik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Not disclosing HIV+ status is only illegal in some states.  Less than half.

Impersonation to access protected health information is a crime everywhere in the country - regardless what you do with the information.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.