Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 month ago

What is the best way to go about studying a conductor score?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I believe the latest conductor score is Kirill Petrenko - 4, Gustavo Dudamel - 2, in a tight match.

• ...Show all comments
    • Mamianka
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Then you are NEVER EVER going to see a pic of me . . let that fantasy continue. Intellectually hot, maybe - that's it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

If this work is unknown to you, listen to a decent recording while following the score. You WILL have to learn how to follow numerous lines at once.  Many years ago, Bonanza Books published a great series of annotated scores to masterworks - important entrances, etc. were hilighted with curved arrows.  You can still find these volumes, often used.  In undergrad conservatory, we were required to PLAY form an open score, at the piano - which require great skill in speed-reading - and if it was a transposing score - instrument written in the key of their PART (think of Bb instrument, F horn, etc. etc.) then you were also doing the transpositions on the fluy.  So - easier to start with SATB vocal.  Easier still, learn to read from a SATB hymnal - no accompaniment. Play one part while singing another - and use the text from an inside verse, not the first verse.  This will help you hone the skills you will need when confronted with the  - well - Mahler Eighth.  DH and I specialize in performing works of the 20th and 21st centuries, for flute and piano - and THOSE need score study before we even start practicing our own parts, let alone rehearsing together.  (Looking at the Kernis AIR right now - rhythm alone is a huge factor - thank God for a glacial tempo  - but the works that SOUND the most free, are often those that are the most calculated.) So make Baby Steps perfect first -  until you have good skills, you do not want to generate errors, sloppiness, and frustration.

• ...Show all comments
    • Mamianka
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Only if those tabs are the stickies you out on each edge of the paper, to find where each movement begins.

• Nicey8
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If i were you, i will watch youtube videos of well known conductors conducting classical pieces, listen for nuances.

Then analyse the score, first get the overall theme, and architecture and coherence, then get down to the details of each instrument and section having loud or soft pp, ff, mf details. Tempo is also important. discussion with the orchestra members is important too.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Watching some Wild Waver plow thru a warhorse work is hardly going to give you structural insight.  Find an economical and accurate conductor - but learn the SCORE on your own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.