Lizzy asked in TravelAustraliaSydney · 1 month ago

When traveling from a cold country to a hot country, do you change clothes at the airport when you get there or wait until the hotel?

I ask because I'm traveling to Australia and it's very hot, but it's freezing here so I *have* to be wearing so so so many layers of clothes to keep warm. What do I do when I arrive?

I generally dress for my destination before I go to the airport. The travel from the parking garage to the airport is minimal, and after that, the airport is warm, as is the plane.  I'll wear lightweight pants, and if it is cold, I'll wear a light jacket like a hoodie.  I will leave my heavy coat in the car. 

• Lizzy1 month agoReport

If you think the airport and airplane are warm then we are very different people!!

Wear layers to travel - you won't want to wear warm clothes necessarily on the plane either

• Lizzy1 month agoReport

I’m always freezing on the plane, I was planning on keeping my thermals on at least for the plane ride... just then I don’t know what’s best

You wear a couple of layers on the plane and change at the hotel. 

Someone this dense should not be travelling. How are you going to work out things like tickets, passports or push and pull doors?

• Lizzy1 month agoReport

Umm thanks for the insult, I’m just wondering where is the place most people would change....

If you absolutely have to wear thermals just to get from your house to the car and from the car to the airport, then the best solution is to leave room in your luggage, take off the outside layer in the airport and stuff it into your luggage before you check it. I generally manage with just a coat, that I then just carry when I get off in a warmer climate. 

• MS

I usually dress in layers, but more geared toward my destination.  I'm not outside all that much when I'm departing (maybe parking lot to terminal, and in some cases I have to board the plane from the stairs) so I figure I can be a little uncomfortable then.  When I go from cold to warm, I usually wear pants, a short-sleeve shirt, a long-sleeve sweater or cardigan, and maybe a fleece or something if it's really cold where I'm starting. Then it's easy to remove layers and be comfortable where I arrive.

• Lizzy1 month agoReport

Thanks, I guess I can vary my layers for the trip. I always always wear thermal underwear though, it's my winter gear, and I have to take transit to the airport so it will be freezing for an hour. Hence my dilemma.

• Ludwig

A good question. And one which in recent times has been much on my mind.

Whatever you do, coming or going, DO NOT CHANGE CLOTHES IN AN AUSTRALIAN AIRPORT!  They'll think you're a terrorist.

• Lizzy1 month agoReport

lol, this is exactly the advice I'm looking for, so do you think I'll be fine wearing my winter clothes from the airport to the hotel?

@ Lizzy  I have done that. It is no big deal. 

Change either before you board the flight or while aboard.  Don't wait until after arrival in Australia. 

• Lizzy1 month agoReport

change in the tiny airplane washroom?? Imagine taking thermals off in that tiny space!

• Airports and places all tend to be much the same temperature. You'll need warm outer clothing until you get to the airport. Then you can put it in your checked luggage. When you arrive and reclaim your luggage, you may want to put more of your clothes in it before you venture outside. Coming home, you do the opposite.