Is a 30-06 a good hunting rifle?

• Favorite Answer

Yes. good all around for any game.

• CLOSED
      1 month agoReport

Many thousands of Alaskans have used the 30-06 for moose and even brown bear its all about shot placement and the right bullet,

• Mr.357

For things bigger than a rabbit and smaller than a grizzly bear, it is a decent choice.

What are you hunting for?

• Quinn

A .30-06 is the caliber designation of a cartridge. There are many hunting rifles made to use .30-06. If you stick with the better known brands, you should be okay in terms of a quality rifle.

Whether a rifle in .30-06 is good for the game you plan to hunt is a different matter. The .30-06 is for medium to large size games. Obviously, you can hunt small games, but it would be an overkill and pretty much ruins the meat leaving you with nothing to eat.

• Robin

too small for elephant, too big for rabbit

• Sammy
      4 weeks agoReport

In the 20th century, most elephants were killed by 7x57 Mauser and proper shot placement.

• CLOSED

The 30-06 can be use one so many things! I have hunted deer. mule deer, whitetail deer, sitka black tail deer, Elk, Moose, dall sheep, bighorn sheep, black bear, brown bear. coyotes, mountain lions, i've shot bobcats after livestock and Lynx after livestock., heck I killed giant halibuts that were over 350 lbs with the rifle. I have shot the heads of game birds and rabbits and squirrels for camp meat with it. I would never trade it for another rifle! I can shoot sub MOA I can place 2 rounds in the center of a quarter at 50 yards and have some quarters I hit center at 100 yards. Just make sure you get the right one and then test it, AND IF IT DOES NOT PRODUCE SHOTS THAT ARE SUB MOA GIVE IT BACK!

You probably shouldn't be shooting and killing animals, Kevin.

• Robin
      1 month agoReport

its hard to eat them when they are still alive

Mine is .

For over a century.

Better than most.