Brittany asked in PetsRodents · 4 weeks ago

Hamster? ?

I really want a hamster but have cats! Do you know if my cats will scratch at my bedroom door wanting in to get the hamster? 

Hamsters and cats do not mix. This is a problem you have to solve.

• Nathan

Quite possibly, please make sure to do your research first as hamsters require very different things to what a pet shop tells you. Their cage MUST be 80x50cm as a minimum, and allow 8" of bedding as a minimum ( tanks are best) and they must have a solid species appropriate wheel so their backs don't arch. That is the very least they require and any less is neglectful

ENTIRELY depends on YOUR cats. Are they indoor cats that have never hunting prey or cats you stupidly allow to free roam so they slaughter everything they can find?

Most house cats that have never seen small animals as prey would be fine around small animals. But you need to introduce them slowly and CAREFULLY and NEVER leave them alone together.