Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Help Naming a character in my book?

Okay

I know it bothers some people when characters are named after what they are like

but..

I need help naming a character in a book

im

writing. 

She is a young girl who has abandoned her baby.

I want a name that is ironic, so something meaning virgin, good mother, devoted, caring mother, or something like that. 

Or I want something that means lost, gone, absent, or something similar. Thank you! My story takes place in Oregon if that helps.

• denise

Chastity or  Forlorna??

You could name her after a flower that represents one of those things. That way, it could seem like her parents just named her after a pretty flower, but readers who do their research will have that glorious "a-ha!" moment. A few ideas are:

Ironic ones:

Sunflower - warmth, adoration, dedication, dedicated love

Ivy - fidelity and loyalty, faith

White Lily/Madonna Lily - Virgin Mary's purity, majesty, purity, virtue

(You could also just straight up call her Madonna, as it's often used to signify Virgin Mary or art depicting her as a mother. Though that might be a little too obvious or on-the-nose, as you don't see the name Madonna in a lot of other situations. So maybe Maddie or Donna? Or maybe her first name is Madeline or Madison, and either her middle name is Donna or her surname is Donnell or Donaldson. Idk lol)

Unironic ones:

Anemone - forsaken, fading hope

Petunia - resentment, anger

Both ironic and unironic:

Azalea - "Take care of yourself for me", temperance

Lavender - purity , silence, devotion, caution, serenity, grace, calmness

Astilbe - "I will be waiting for you", "I’ll still be waiting", patience and dedication to a loved one

(pink) Camellia - longing for you in the future (The "pink" part could perhaps be specified by a middle name like Rosa, Rosaline or Cerise. Or one of those three could be her first name while Camellia is her middle name whatevs)

She could also have been nicknamed "Sweet Pea" by someone, because sweet peas can symbolise appreciation and departure, which is also both ironic and unironic.

It doesn't exactly 'bother' us. It just makes us sigh when someone actually thinks this kind of question is necessary.

Her parents did not name her thinking "When she grows up she's going to have a baby and abandon them so we'll name her Susie Dipsh*t." Being set in Oregon has nothing to do with her name either unless her parents were granola loving hippies.

Pick a name and get on with writing. You are wasting time and energy on something that doesn't really matter.

It’s not that people don’t like authors choosing names they like for characters - it’s more that it indicates poor character development and a character that is flat or a  “Mary Sue”.  Picking names with special meanings will be lost on a lot of readers since most won’t know the meaning of names anyway.  Plus 

considering things like the setting of the story, the character’s background and family and thinking about what the parents would have named the character and why are ways writers build a more believable character that is well rounded. It’s about improving your writing.

But if you’re just writing for fun it really doesn’t matter and maybe some name will inspire a writer.

The typical “virgin” name is Virginia.  

There’s Mary like in the Virgin Mary.  Madonna is another option.  And there are various forms of Mary like Meri, Mari, Miriam, Maura, Marie, Maria

Catherine/Kathryn/Kathleen (and all the other forms) mean pure 

Happy writing 

• Andrew

Mallory Oregano. You're welcome.