v asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

how can you deal with rude customers?

I'm a cashier at Walmart and I actually rarely get rude people coming through my line because most of them notice I'm young and say I'm doing a great job.  But there was a lady yesterday who came through and it seemed as though she wanted an argument. She was having trouble with the keypad and I was getting a little impatient and nervous because my line was getting bigger, but then some people left. So when she left, I said have a good night, stretched my arms, and went to move on to my next customer but then she mocked me stretching my arms and said "Oh yes, praise baby Jesus in the sky" or something like that, then walked off. Maybe 20 or so minutes passed and she walked by my register saying "I'm not done with you". I went up asked what was wrong because I was about to go home anyways, she said I was giving her sass, I said I wasn't. I started walking away and she said "Wait till I see you outside" and I was livid. I know I shouldn't have gone up to her afterwards but I would like tips on how to handle these types of situations better.

I should add that this was at the end of the transaction that this was happening. She wanted to use a check, and some gift cards and I had to explain the gift cards which was no big deal but she wasn't understanding how to use her fs card. Wasn't using the information I was giving her on how to use it. She wasn't putting her pin in, and it was just one big mess.

YOU were the rude one by stretching your arms and saying 'oh yes, praise bay Jesus in the sky'.   When, working with the public, you must show patience and be helpful.

• mom

if a rude customer treats you like again, I would call for the manager and tell your manager about that customer. you do not have to be treated like that. I am a customer in Walmart and I can not stand it when people walk around Walmart talking loud on the cell phone or when they are checking out, they talk so loud. I am not interested in what they are saying. one woman walked into Walmart the same time I did, talking on the phone and left the same time I did and was still talking on the phone, what is so important that you can not wait until they get home

• Prince

Just put your hands over your ears and scream, "Ab dabs!" That's the mature way. It'll get your point across and is technically correct. 

I would realize that it's nothing personal and that it's just who they are, plus I also look at it as if they're making total fools out of themselves.

i would tell your manager about it

• Elaine

The first thing when dealing with the public is not to take rude behaviour or comments by customers personally.  While you are posting on Yahoo Answers you can be sure the customer has entirely forgotten the incident. Unless you have a line composed of absolutely rude customers most customers will notice the difficulty the customer is having and your treatment of the person. 

Believe it or not most customers will sympathise with you as long as you remain courteous and polite. Sometimes they tell that particular customer off. If you have tried several times to help the customer and it's not working, tell the customer that you are going to call someone who can be of better help. Then you tell the other customers in the line that they might be better off going to another cashier as this transaction will take some time. While you can't know the reason for this person's behaviour you are much better off taking what I call "the moral high road".  NOR should you even try to figure out the reasons for the behaviour.  

The next thing you need to learn is that it is pointless to argue with a customer.  This only makes them angrier which can result in you responding in kind.  The next thing that happens is that you are reported to the manager and you are out of a job. 

I once had a job dealing with the public. I learned that there are many different kinds of people to deal with on a daily basis. The way I got around the nasty people was to kill them with kindness. There are people who want to argue and derail you as they get off on controlling your emotions and your actions. Don't give them the satisfaction of getting under your skin.

Always smile, even when you want to bite their head off. Always agree with them or say you are sorry that they feel that way. Never argue or be crass with a customer because these types of people we'll go to management to try to get you fired.

Pretend your cashier station is your stage and you are there as an actor to please everybody who comes through your line. Remember these people come and go and are part of your life for a mere few minutes and are not worth the time and the aggravation to try to figure out or understand. Because you cannot control people oh, you have to concentrate on what you can control. You can always control your reaction with a smile and a nod as you send them off by telling them to have a wonderful day.

• drip

As soon as she walked up to the second time you should of called your supervisor and then them handle it.  If a customer threatens you , you tell your supervisor.  ASAP 

If a customer is having trouble with the key pad it is your job to kindly help them.  Learn how to break down the instructions. Repeat them with a kind voice. Say.  Dont worry, we will get it. Let’s try again. Instead of your body language showing frustration and impatience.    So what she was taking time. She waited her turn. You weren’t going anywhere.  So your line was getting longer.  That happens at WalMart. 

She said you were giving her sass. You say I am so sorry.  I should of given you more help. I apologize.     It is your job to defuse the situation.

Next time be kinder, not so impatient,   

You remember two things. You can't make everyone happy and you can't change people into what you want them to be. Then don't sweat the occasion malcontent. Your supervisors are well aware of these types of people and don't give them any credibility.

When she said you were giving her 'sass' you might simply have said: "I'm so sorry, that was never my intention."