Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 8 months ago

Can a baby have just breast milk for the first 1-2 years? When do they NEED food?

• Normally your doctor would have you to start giving them baby food by 6 months. 

A toddler will need solid food by the age of 6 or 7 for certain .... some even before then .

The answer is no, the nutrititions are not there alone on breast milk! 

When do they start needing food? Usually around the 4-6 month mark! It starts with baby food, because they don't have the teeth or ability to chew at that age, all food is soft. They can start eating solids around the 8 month mark.

When to start solids is debatable. My youngest is 18 and we were told to start solids around 4 months back then with rice cereal. When my sister had her baby her doctor had her wait till 9 months which seemed way too long to me as her daughter was eagerly reaching and wanting to try food around 6 months. She even stole food off her dads plate while sitting in his lap. lol Yet my sister felt it was best to wait till her doctor said it was ok, which I respected and understand.

My daughter right now nannies for a baby who is 6mts and reaching for food but so far the doctor hasn't given the ok to start solids.

Common sense says that babies need solid food well before the age of 1.

Babies will need solid food by 5 months. Otherwise, they'll have a bad gag reflex. Yes, this has been clinically proven.

• Tavy

They need solid food at 6 months. Milk alone will not help them grow or put on weight.

In theory they could but would be undernourished and underweight etc, normally they start on solid foods from 6 months old