How to engage an active shooter?

Not run or hide (unless it will lead to engaging the shooter), but fight (I am willing to sacrifice myself). Assume 4 scenarios, in which the shooter has a semi-auto 50 magazine rifle and is not shooting from a distance (not like a sniper):

In open ground, like on college grounds, I have a handgun.

In closed ground, like office space, I have a handgun.

In open ground, I have a knife

In closed ground, I have a knife

I've had the occasional dream in scenarios like this, though I always get shot in the process of engaging the shooter.

Strong talk never having been confronted as such.

As Mike Tyson once said,, everybody has a plan until you get hit in the face.

Get combat training, do a stint in real combat, you might have a leg to stand on.

• Matt

Close the distance between you and the shooter, since he has a rifle and you have your pistol/knife he starts off with an advantage.

Try to remain concealed as long as you can (easier done in an office environment), you have the element of surprise, use it.

My general rule is only if my family or myself is in imminent danger escape is always the first option. Going hunting for an active shooter when you're out gunned is never a good plan if you want to stay above ground.

There's only one option, close to engage.

You have to zero the gap between you and an attacker, whether that's physically moving closer or simply getting rounds on target. 

If you can run, run.

If you have to fight, fight.

If you're going to fight, win.

I teach a four step process, and caution you that there are old heroes, and bold heroes, but there are no old, bold heroes.

1-Escape--a good run beats a bad stand 10 times out of 10.

2-Conceal--if you can't run, hide.

3--Cover--as soon as possible get behind hard cover. Car doors don't work, but the engine and the drive train and the wheels do.

4-Engage--in the gravest extreme, engage the bad guy, and shoot to center of mass until he finally drops. 

I might add, there is generally, unless you are the world's greatest marksman, no one shot stopper in the hand cannon arena. 

• Sammy

Active shooters do their horrors in "gun free zones". Legal ccw people respect and obey that law.

In any form of combat the first person who sees the other guy has an advantage. So if you can see the shooter BEFORE he sees you, you have a big advantage over him. So use concealment as much as possible, do not go running down the center of the hall towards the shooting, look around corners first. Second problem is most people can see what you have in your hand and pretty much knows your capabilities. So the second the shooter sees you with your little handgun he will know he has you "out gunned." More importantly, if he sees your gun he will know you are more of a threat than someone with empty hands so you do not want him to see that you are armed. You also need to know the difference between cover and concealment. A curtain will conceal you but it provides no protection as cover, the guy can just shoot thru it. So do not think flipping over a table in the cafeteria will protect you from his shots. Other than that, once you see him and he sees you it will turn into a gun fight. I hope you are a good shot.

You get down on one knee and ask him to marry you.

Tell me, exactly what part of 'Hunting' does 'Active Shooters' fall under?  

Do you think people in the Olympic swimming section are also shark experts?   

If you have to come to yahoo answers to find out how to engage an active shooter then your best chance of surviving is to run the opposite direction of the shooter. To answer each of your 4 scenarios in the order in which they were asked:

In open ground, like on college grounds, I have a handgun:

Give the handgun to someone trained to respond to an active shooter situation, seek cover and concealment and wait for the all clear signal.

In closed ground, like office space, I have a handgun: 

In open ground, I have a knife: 

Give the knife to someone trained to respond to an active shooter situation, seek cover and concealment and wait for the all clear signal. 

In closed ground, I have a knife:

Source(s): Now to be serious. Seek professional training, take classes, become proficient in firearms handling and tactics, maybe join the military or a LEO agency.
  • BBean

I dreamed I was Wile E. Coyote falling off a cliff....I quickly dreamed me a set of wings....flew back and met that roadrunner with that smurkey smile and ate that sob!

You DO realize that every situation is UNIQUE and although a plan is good to have in mind the situation has many alternatives so dream on dreaming on!