Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 8 months ago

How long should I leave the bleach in for?

I "dip-dyed" my hair with bleach a few weeks ago. It was my first time and it came out quite good, however because I was being careful and started from the back the front of my hair did not lift as much (the back was processing for an hour *oops* whereas the front was only 20 or so minutes). Yesterday I tried to lift the front parts but I started to panic because I felt like I was taking too long, but in the end it barely did anything. I did not time myself, which I will do this time but I would say the bleach was on my hair for 5-10 minutes. I would show you a picture for more perspective but it doesnt show up on camera. The back (my goal) is a light-medium blonde, whereas the front is a dark and slightly ginger blonde. Clearly the amount of time I left it on yesterday was not good enough, so I would really appreciate another opinion. How long should I leave it on this time?

p.s my hair is surprisingly healthy and I have been deep conditioning every wash, so do not worry about the health of my hair

• If it's a dark red dye (or even if it's natural) then you may have to bleach your hair a few times to get it to blond, or use a higher volume of developer but that can damage your hair if you leave it on for too long. 

You shouldn't leave bleach on your hair for longer then the package directions tell you to. If you leave it on for too long, bleach can fry your hair. You should deep condition after you bleach your hair as well.