Personal vehicle needs a new starter. Does my boss have the legal right to see documentation I went to repair shop?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are using your private vehicle for work, yes.  If not, then no.

• Login to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

If you lost time from work; he has the right to know and see why!

• 3 weeks ago

Legally, of course not. However, should you wish to remain employed there it might be a good idea to show him this documentation in order for him to know, beyond doubt, what the real reason for your absence was.

• Bill
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

Well stated.

• 3 weeks ago

Your boss PROBABLY wanted to see something to prove

you weren't lying about why you were absent from work.

You can refuse of course, but he'll record the absence as an "unexcused" absence. That's all.

It's the same as employers wanting to see a doctor note verifying you were at the doctor's office when absent. 

TOO MANY unexcused absences, and they have a good reason to terminate you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Not enough info to form an educated guess

• 3 weeks ago

IF you took time off work for it YES.. he has the right to see it. You probably got drunk and just didn't feel like going to work... RIGHT.... 

• arther
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

cant you install it yourself if you want to tell him where to go. is he going to foot the bill? 

• 3 weeks ago

If you skipped out of work you better show him what you were doing jojo.

• ...Show all comments
    • Trump 2020
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Bad attitude there, Arther. "who the **** are you to ask?". My answer would be
      "I'm the guy who HIRED you, and I'm the guy that's about to FIRE you. THAT'S who I am"

• 3 weeks ago

If you have missed time from work because of car trouble and you have told your boss that the problem is fixed, it is reasonable to be asked for evidence that the problem was fixed.

He has the legal right to ask for that evidence. There is no legal obligation for you to show it.

Be aware that if you are an at-will employee, you can be terminated for no reason. So you should think twice about giving your boss a reason. The law does not protect you.

• ...Show all comments
    • curtisports2
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Only a tiny percentage of law is contract law. Of course you don't need to be under a contract to ask somebody something.

• lj1
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No. However, if he's willing to excuse an absence if you show proof that you got your car worked on, it would be dumb not to show him the documentation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.