Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 1 month ago

Should i listen to my dad?

I like seeking knowledge and learning.I don't just limit myself to school work,i seek all types of knowledge.

My dad told me that this knowledge is completely useless because no employer will pay me for that knowledge so i must refrain from seeking such knowledge and only seek knowledge which is related to my field.He said that this thirst for knowledge will lead to my downfall and failure.

I want to succeed in life and i want to do something big but at the same i cant stop myself from learning new things.I will be hurting myself if i start restraining myself.

• Lisa A
    Favorite Answer

Yes, and no.

No knowledge is useless. But he is right that a lot of knowledge can't be used to support yourself in life. First figure out how you can support yourself. Once you have that covered, study anything you want for the pleasure of it.

• Nicey8

Your dad is only half right. A professor has a lot of knowledge in the subject matter and he draws a pretty salary.

Quest for knowledge is good, but for me personally, information overload is a daily hassle for me. I am middle aged.

• Laurie

If you seek knowledge, why would you take advice from someone who has none?

You said knowledge seven times. In five sentences. You got the record. Nice job !

• GTB

Truly valuable employees are those who rapidly adapt to new developments that are cost effective, more responsive, lesser cost, and more capable. This requires continual re-learning and this skill is most needed. You will not find today's jobs with yesterday's skills and you will rapidly obsolete yourself if you fail to learn new. On the other hand, learning things that have little occupational value in your current or desired future job will not help much. There is a balance; find the proper balance. I am in the technical world; what I do in my company today is nothing close to what I did 3 years ago and it has been this way for the past 40 years.