I found a syringe in my apartment, it isn’t mine, what could it be and what do i do?

The previous tenants(guys in the army according to the landlord) left most of their things including furniture, a gun(which has been given to the correct authority), and smaller things like cleaning supplies. I was in a closet in the smaller bedroom, both bedrooms have a walk in closet, i look up on the door frame and i notice what looks like a needle or a syringe placed atop of it. I don’t have any gloves and know better not to touch a possibly used one with my bare hands, so i reached out and took a picture, it is a syringe and it has a cover on the needle and has some clear liquid in it. What do i do? Should i tell my landlord, possibly a police officer? Or buy gloves and discard it & think nothing of it.

What could it be?  Your guess is as good as ours.

There's a big difference between a needle and a syringe so which is it? It could simply be a glue or oil applicator. Or it could have been used by a diabetic. Why would a druggie leave their drug behind, that just doesn't make any sense.

• Alice1 month agoReport

Its definitely a needle. And I was hoping it was just insulin, but it wouldnt make sense as of why they left it on top of a door frame

You dont need to contact the police, nothing they can do, landlord only if you think something useful will come of that.  Otherwise, pick it up with tongs but it in a glass bottle like a tea one; and take it to a needle drop container--call the police station or the fire station or a pharmacy for the whereabouts of one. If they cant help, an Urgent care may take it--they are charged based on medical waste amount but 1 syringe they may accommodate you.  Then forget it

• Edwena

Drink a bottle of beer and put the syringe in the bottle, stuff some plastic wrap in the neck of a plug and throw it in the trash. You have an excuse to buy and drink a six-pack.

The police would not take fingerprints unless it involved a murder. Therefore, the needle is trash. Needles must be properly disposed (not in trash, and not in toxic waste). They must go to a designated needle disposal site. Very few police stations have needle disposal, so you will have to call several to find one that will accept it.

Complain to your landlord about how they’ve failed to clean anything. And just throw it away. 

• Alice1 month agoReport

To be fair, i offered to clean the apartment because i was excited to move in, i’m just concerned about finding a random needle with an unknown substance in it.