Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is this sentence gramatically correct?

Mary, my Nana's neighbour - and a great friend, teaching me the in's and out's of Scrabble!

(I want to state that Mary is also MY friend through this)

• Judy

My Nana's neighbor, Mary, is a great friend and she is teaching me the in's and out's of Scrabble!

No.  A sentence has a subject and a verb and expresses a complete thought.  That's not a sentence; it's a fragment.

• Laurie

You have no sentence, because you have no verb. Try “taught” instead of “teachingl

It's not a sentence because it doesn't have a full verb. Is this a caption for a photograph? Captions don't have to be full sentences.

If you use a dash before the interjection "and a great friend", use a dash after it, too. Or use commas on both sides. It's "ins and outs".

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

@Expat, The participle 'teaching' can be construed as part of a verb. @Gypsyfish, it I agree this seems to be a caption and therefore doesn't need to be a full sentence.

• Mamie

Mary, my Nana's neighbour and a great friend to me, is teaching me the ins and outs of Scrabble!

• Eva

Not even close and the punctuation isn't correct either.

• Mark

Nope, an apostrophe does NOT make a plural in English - where did you get the idea that it does?  (It's "ins and outs", not "in's and out's".)  And it not even a sentence - it's a phrase - it would be a sentence if you said "is teaching", but you just said "teaching".