TAVR question for 82 year old man?

My 82 year old grandfather needs a TAVR procedure because an aortic valve in his heart is not pumping right. He was diagnosed with moderate aortic stenosis. He however has an aneurysm in the aorta near his abdomen and they want to use the femoral artery to do the procedure. My question is will the catheter be near the aneurysm location or does it go through a different vessel and what are the chances of the aneurysm bursting if it is? He also has Polycystic Kidney Disease, so I am worried about the dye and that causing a problem as well. Have already talked to the doctor, just waiting for a response so I thought I would ask on here just to see if anyone knows anything. Thanks.

• Jason

A crucial part of the work-up for a TAVR is a high-resolution CT scan to measure the diameter of the aortic ring. This also includes an evaluation of the blood vessels to determine the optimal approach and an evaluation of kidney function. Like all procedures, it's a balancing act. The risks of doing an open AVR are substantial; it's a serious surgery to undergo. There are significant risks to a TAVR as well. The process of doing the work-up is to determine which options are the least risky. None of them are without risk, including not having surgery. Aortic stenosis is progressive and has a prognosis similar to many cancers if left untreated. 

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) -- we do a LOT of TAVRs at my hospital and all of them come through our PF Lab as part of the evaluation. Working on my master's in nursing
  • Andy C

This is one for the surgeon doing the procedure. I can assure you that NOT rupturing the aneurysm is definitely the preferred outcome, but if it is in the aorta and the camera, etc needs to be in the aorta, there is only one aorta.