Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 4 weeks ago

Can a 19 year old make and possess a handgun in Iowa ?

So I’m 19 and I live in Iowa and have been into shooting for some time now. I’ve always wanted to own a handgun and have recently been allowed the opportunity to shoot a handgun for the first time. After shooting it I can say that I am honestly in love with the glock 19. I really want to buy one however I am only 19 and Iowa says you have to be 21 to buy a handgun. My question is could I legally machine my own lower for a glock 19 and build my own ? Technically I never would have bought a handgun, rather made one. Please, if you don’t have anything helpful to say, refrain from saying it. Thanks!

• Quinn
    Favorite Answer

I could be wrong, but my reading of the Iowa state law regarding handguns is that you cannot be in possession/own a handgun if you are under 21.  So even if you could make one (which is a big stretch), you still cannot have/own it.  I know it's a bummer, but if you really are  "in love" with shooting pistols, it is not going away when you turn 21.  What you can do in the meanwhile is to go to the range that rents pistol with an adult and shoot the pistol under the supervision of the adult.  

Another option for you is to take courses at the range if they allow someone your age to sign up.  Learn the fundamentals of both safety and good marksmanship, and by the time you are 21 you will be in excellent position to make full use of your 2nd Amendment Right.

The Glock company is one of the most successful pistol maker in history and they are not going to disappear in 2 years. And from what I can see of the G19, it is so successful that it too is not going to be pulled from the market anytime soon.

So be patient, Grasshopper, and walk on.

You need to be VERY careful making a gun. There are a ton of laws and if you violate one of them, they will come after you. (They are willing to look the other way for damn near everything else but not for gun violations) I would look in the paper and buy one from a private individual where you do not have to do a background check.

Did you build your first tricycle at 3?

Did you build your first LED tv at 4?

Did you build your first bicycle at 10?

What about your first computer?  First rifle?  First toaster?  First car?

If you have never, ever, built anything before - what makes you think building a Glock will be easy?

Building a gun is not easy.  You need a working gun exactly like what you are building to check your work...… or a whole mess of forms and hand made fit gauges to test the parts

Sounds like you have a friend with one.  A smart bunny would take the friend to the range and shoot with them - pick up the brass - and lean to handload.  By the time you are old enough you will lots of ammo made and ready to go! 

• Thanks to 80% lowers, building a gun is super easy especially a glock. Now if we were talking about building a traditional 1911 or forging a sig from a pile of h&k parts I'd agree with you. A glock is a great do it yourself design to use. 

• Mr.357

It appears that you have to be at least 21 to possess a handgun in Iowa.  Move to a free state.

Sorry your choices are:

A: wait

B: break the law

C: join the military

Whatever you choose don't choose C. Buying a handgun at 19 is against the law but the law can give you one at 19 if you're willing to go to war. However if you come back at 20, guess what you're back to not legally owning a handgun till 21!

If you really think you can machine a Glock from scratch, knock yourself out.  Will it really be that difficult to just wait two years?  Calm down.

• pat3 weeks agoReport

80% lower 

No, you are prohibited from possessing/owning a handgun (it doesn't matter if you made one or bought one) except under very specific conditions:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/iow...

Simple answer- NO.

You had better follow the law dude......

FYI.....firearm violations do not go away quickly.

• Joel4 weeks agoReport

Yes, follow the unconstitutional laws like a good slave or you can get a free gun legally after you sign up for the military and go die in an illegal war started by a couple billionaires. "Land of the frightened and the home of the incarcerated." America is dead!

I think you can have someone buy you one.

• Russ in NOVA
      4 weeks agoReport

In many states that would be the answer, but not in Iowa.  You can't even possess one except under direct adult supervision.

Let's see now, is there a language in which 19 is equal to or more than 21 ..

ps: Why do you want a handgun so bad?