taking the gold trim off wardrobe doors?

I dont want to buy new wardrobes but our old ones have that gold trim around the middle for decoration, any ideas how i can take it off without damaging the doors and also any tips i can do to make them look good?

These are like mine but these are a picture i took off google.Many thanks

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The picture has no gold trim so I don't know what you mean.

Sand them smooth and REPAINT THEM.   DONE.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

ooh, very french provincial 

it would be a lot less work to make new doors than to do what you said

• C
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's a lot of work to get the trim off those doors AND make it look nice afterwards, and may cost you more than replacing the doors, especially if you don't have the materials to hand already and extra especially if you're a perfectionist.  You definitely don't need to replace the wardrobes just to replace the doors.

What kind of hinges do they have?  Are they like door hinges or are the this kind? https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-cabinet-hinge-co...

I presume the doors themselves are mdf.

Remove the doors to work on them, start with one to evaluate the method.  You can prise of the trim using a chisel or scraper by keeping it at a low angle and tapping the handle with a mallet or hammer.  Expect some scuffs and minor damage to the surface.  Remove the handles, hinges and screws.  Keep safe and labelled or they'll disappear, t'is the law of diy.

Fill in any surplus holes and scuffs using a neutral wood filler (ronseal do a squeezy tube) making sure they're dead level.  It's better to leave them ever so slightly proud and sand down when hard than scrape dead level which tends to leave a depression.  Now is the time to decide if you want to keep the handles or replace them.  If new handles have a different screw spacing the old holes are surplus and should be filled in.

Lightly sand the whole surface to rough it up slightly.  This is called "keying."  Wipe every spec of dust off.  Paint it with an mdf primer.  Read the instructions on the primer to see if it needs to be keyed again.

Now you can either:

A) paint it your desired colour

or

B) use a vinyl wrap 

Both require some practice to get right.  If you're new to this

To get the best finish take the doors to a spray shop, but it's one of those jobs where it's cheaper to replace the doors altogether if you can't get the job done for "mates' rates" or have the equipment yourself.

The other options are to use spray paint (not in the house, the fine mist will end up where you don't want it, no matter how careful you are!) or to build up layers using a small sponge roller, carefully sanding between them with a fine grit paper to make sure the surface is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Then replace the hardware and then the doors.

If you're good at diy you can clone the doors sans trim.  I've replaced doors on older built in wardrobes by ordering sheets of mdf in high gloss finish cut to size with edges pre-trimmed with veneer.  I only needed to add the depressions for the cabinet hinges (like the ones linked).  It worked out cheaper than ordering "ready made" doors and cost me less labour than cutting and edging large sheets or furniture board.  The results were fabulous!  (You will need one of these, this will do for a one off job:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoze-Hinge-Boring-Cutter... and a jig template because it's much better than being annoyed at a slightly squint door forever.)

Whatever you decided to do cost all the bits and bobs you might need first before deciding which option to take and consider the effort you're willing to expend.  Sometimes it's worth throwing some money at a problem in the interests of getting it sorted.

• 4 weeks ago

Some of those the shaping is under the melamine covering, sometimes it's glued on.

Either way, You'll make a pig's ear of removing it.

Leave well alone.

• Jane4 weeks agoReport

Hmm i know.... i had an idea of painting them white but not sure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.