Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

Should I get rid of books my deceased grandfather gave me?

My grandfather gave me books the week or month before he passed away. They were cereal box books, and to be honest, I don't love them that much. I'm building a little library for my local park and I wondered if I should put them in there. It just doesn't feel right to give them away but I don't even read or want them. I also don't want my family to think bad of me or for me to feel regret.

In little libraries, children are supposed to take books home to keep/read

I don't think he really loved the books, I always got cereal box presents and he handed me a packet, which this time happened to have the books. Both sets of grandparents always gave me whatever was in their cereal boxes...

I am placing other books in the little library, by the way. Like the magic tree house series, Beirstein bears, Andrew Clements' kid's books and such. I was lucky to get my hands on a whole set of Roald Dahl books. 

Your grandfather loved you so much. That is why he dedicated his books to you. He also trusted you so much believing that you will be able to keep safe his books he gave you. I suggest you find a shelf where you keep the books for remembrance and for the next coming family generation.

I would keep them. My grandpa gave me a flower at my aunt's funeral a week before he passed and at first I refused it, but he insisted I take it. It's all I have of him now. I keep it in a display box amd I've had it since 2015 when he passed. 

What are 'cereal box books'?

• bluebellbkk
      2 weeks agoReport

No need to thumb up; I just literally want to know what 'cereal box books' ARE. I've never heard of them till now.

• JerryL

i whould keep them  they you grandfathers and they rare i believe they are .

but keep them for his memeory

You can put them in the free little library. Once you're done looking at them, they're good to pass on to someone else that may find them wonderful.

• j153e

If it doesn't feel right to give them away, don't--your grandfather loved those little books which express his character, his child-like and creative soul.

Would keep them all to share with your children, and instead place other, more conventional books, such as used copies of Mary Pope Osborne's children's series, into your Little Library.

It is common for many people as they approach their last round-up, to become more childlike, holding "Rosebud" (movie "Citizen Kane") or other such near and dear items.  In a sense, the records of his life were scrolling slowly before the mystic chords of his memory, like a cereal box book.  He probably loved you very much.

https://littlefreelibrary.org/start

"The Great Divorce;"

"Imagine Heaven" by John Burke.

No way. What you should do is sneak in to your nearest supermarket and carefully re-insert the books into a random selection of cereal boxes, being careful to re-seal the boxes so the public don't know they've been opened. Then, by taking careful notes of who buys them, you can follow them home and, by situating yourself outside their windows, you can watch their faces light up when they find your old grandad's books.

It's optional if you want to burst in through the door and shout "It was me! It was me who put those books in your boxes! Hello!". Well, hope this helped.

• Marli

Are they books that cereal companies put inside their boxes as freebies for kids? A collector might be interested. 

If you can keep a few as a curiousity to share with your children some day, I'd recommend that.  Otherwise, passing them on through the library you are developing is a very good idea.

You should decide that on your own.

And in my opinion, if you truly don’t want them, then make sure they are given to people that would like them.

If you are opening a library, you can put them there, library is for borrowing books so you would still be able to access them.

You should keep them for sentimental value. Keep them for your children. They clearly meant a lot to you grandfather. Put them in a box in the attic. When you find them again, you'll be reminded of your grandfather.