Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 months ago

Do these sentences make sense? If they sound awkward to native ears, would you mind correcting them, please?

-> "Oh, gosh. I didn't expect the movie Frozen 2 not to be showing in this theater. I'm afraid we need to make do with something else for today."

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's perfectly correct, but it does sound a bit stiff. For example, when you're actually AT the cinema, as it seems you are, you wouldn't say 'the movie Frozen 2' - you'd just say 'Frozen 2'. Of course it's a movie: that's why you're there!

I'd say, "Oh gosh, I never thought* 'Frozen 2' wouldn't be on. I'm afraid we'll have to make do with some other movie today".

*Another option: "It never crossed my mind that 'Frozen 2' wouldn't be on".

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

They don't sound awkward to my ears.

That's how people used to speak half a century ago when I was a child.

Now it probably sounds odd to young people.

• 8 months ago

It should be "Oh gosh, I didn't expect...".  Other than that, the first part is fine, but "make do" sounds like your outing is obligatory, like you just need to find something to do to pass the time but don't necessarily want to be going out with that person.  Also, in a case like this, English uses what looks like the future tense:   "I'm afraid WE'LL need to/have to find something else to do today."  "We need to..." / "have to" express urgency, which would sound crude in that situation. 

• Mercy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Perfectly fine. :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Sound too formal and stilted. Try...

Oh gosh, Frozen 2 isn't playing here today. I'm afraid we'll need to make do with something else.

• 8 months ago

it sounds okay to me

• Danny
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

Oh, gosh. I didn't expect this theatre not to be showing 'Frozen 2'. I'm afraid we will have to do something else today.

That sounds more natural to me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.