Would you dump a friend over this?

She flunked out of 3 colleges

I graduated from the best school in the country

And after paying for my meal at a restaurant

She told me degrees are useless after 2 years

What matters is your i.q. and your professional history

Like what a rude thing to say to somebody who worked so hard to study at a top school and raise their GPA and get a degree

Favorite Answer

LOL - what is it you thought someone that couldn't graduate college was going to say??   Your friend needs to work on her tact a little bit.  But seems like not a big deal.  

• di

That's like someone driving a beater telling someone that their Volvo is a waste of money.  It's all relative.  Your "friend" is probably trying to make herself feel better about her college career.

your pal shows friendship not sosh status matter, you might try and learn that lesson

Anyone who is so disparaging of your efforts & achievements is not your friend.

Actually, I might agree with her. Many degrees, especially technical degrees, do become obsolete after a few years. 

That said, people in these professions take continuing education classes to keep up with the updates in their field, so they remain as knowledgeable as recent graduates. 

And professional experience is certainly very important. After a few years practicing law, most employers could not care less where I went to law school and my GPA; they cared where I worked and what my bosses thought of me. 

Still, I agree that is was impolite to say so, especially since the only job you could find with your honors degree from a top school is working retail in a mall. But since she's paying for lunch, I'd let it go. 

• John

Your YA activity reveals a number of different personas.  Here you are a graduate of the best university in the nation (one would think such a school would require knowledge of grammar and punctuation).  A few days ago you were working part-time in a mall.  

• Stella

Well, I wouldn't drop a friend who was paying for an occasional meal.

thats up to you if you want to dump her or not

• Bryan

You went to an elite school and presumably will be successful in your profession. Your friend has been less successful thus far. She probably feels a bit uncomfortable about your academic success when she looks at her own. So, give her a break and do your best to support her. You are one of life's winners, so let criticism from the less successful roll off your back. Also, do your best to help others along as best you can.

Source(s): Father of two unusually successful children.