Oil in car is going down after filling it, what's wrong?

My car was sitting for a day in the freezing cold and wouldn't start the day after.  Got warmer out and next couple if days it started while above freezing temperatures outside. I kept trying to start it and when it was cold and found out after it was warmer that I didn't add enough antifreeze to it. Did I damage the engine while trying to start it when cold. The oil keeps going down like right after I add it but I didn't see a leak.

I the engine is BURNING OIL< it will be inside the EXHAUST PIPE! Doa RECATL EXAM onit! If you have SNMULLY OIL in the tailpie you are burning oil! GOOD KLUCK!

• M.

Your question is not fixed, but is variable.

When you say you didn't add enough antifreeze, do you mean that your coolant FROZE?  If that's what you mean, then just say it.  Or did you mean your coolant level was low?

Which car do you have?

What was the actual temperature of the "freezing cold" (not the wind-chill index).

If your engine oil is disappearing, then it's either leaking out, or burning (or somebody is draining it).

Now explain some more please.

Some people are worriers and do not know how to start the car in extreme cold.  I see many people who turn the key to START for only half a second, or one second, then turn the ignition off and repeat this procedure, possibly many times, and flood the engine in the process.

The modern EFI engine has some strange problems and this is one of them.  Turn the key to START and hold it there for at least several seconds.  If the engine only cranks but will not run, then there is a problem.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

Year make and model.  If it is a 90 or 91 Jaguar, Jaguar troll strikes again.

Jaguar troll strikes again.

• Jason1 month agoReport

You're the troll.

There's this thing called leaking and that's probably what's happening here.

i would ask a mechanic to check it out