Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

Wouldn’t almond flour pancakes only be three ingredients to make?

I’m looking at almond flour pancake recipes and these recipes call for eggs, bananas, or apple sauce and baking soda. Couldn’t I just use almond flour, baking soda and water as the ingredients? When I make regular pancakes using aunt jemima mix all I use is the pancake mix and water to make the batter. I looked at the ingredients for that pancake mix and it was just flour and baking soda. So what’s with all the extra ingredients?

sure you could do it your way. Why not just try it and see what happens. then if you don't like the results, youi can try one of the recipes instead.

If you're making pancakes with almond flour, there are endless recipes online. Just google Almond Flour Pancakes. they all contain egg

typically pancakes have eggs and oil or butter. If they did not then you would have a cracker like object not a fluffy pancake. 

Replacing the flour with ground almonds (almond flour) you still need the oil and eggs.  These look like they have been replaced with banana and or applesauce.

Milk or water is typically used as the majority of liquid and if your recipe does not include that the extra moisture will come from the applesauce or banana. 

Baking soda will add lift to the batter

• Jerry

I think you'd end up with globs of hot almond meal mush, not pancakes. 

• Janet

No you cannot.

Almond flour has no gluten in it .. not like wheat flour does. Gluten is what makes it stick together when it cooks.

So you MUST add the eggs .. you know how eggs firm up as they are cooked. Without eggs in your almond-flour batter it will never hold together into a pancake.

The Aunt Jemima mix is made out of wheat flour, so it has gluten in it.

The Aunt Jemima mix has powdered eggs in it, so I would include the egg.

Almond flour isn't Iike wheat fIour. The texture and taste is aIready gross to begin with, but if you don't add something to give it some fluff, it wiII be even worse. Maybe look around for other recipes if you're trying to avoid fruits or carbs. Look up keto almond pancakes

Because almond flour is different from wheat flour.  However, I'm sure that someone who's experienced in making packet pancakes knows all about almond flour, you just do what you think is right and ignore what the professionals tell you to do.