Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

why would I experience hair loss ( balding/ thinning of hair) after having STOPPED smoking cigarettes?

I never noticed thinning until a few weeks after i stopped smoking cigarettes and now it has been two months and i still see thinning, why this would occur after STOPPING smoking cigarettes? (I thought smoking caused hair loss not the other way around?)

also, I didnt stop smoking cigarettes due to worries over my hair, it was totally unexpected. but will my hair grow back maybe soon? It has been 6 weeks now since i noticed the thinning /balding area on front of hair line. and I heard that Winter time hair loss is more usual? and there is a "resting phase" that occurs every 3 years or so where hair does not grow back for 3 months? is that true? why? and maybe that is what it is? why it would coincide with stopping smoking cigarettes maybe?

Favorite Answer

I think your hair thinning is merely coincidentally associated with quitting smoking.

They're just two things that happened to happen at the same time is all.

If you think you're experiencing abnormal hair loss, visit your doctor and find out why.

Because you got older, probably. Just because one thing happens after another thing doesn't mean that the first thing caused the second thing