Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

Can I Call The Police on my Roommate?

I currently have Comcast Xfinity internet under my name for the apartment that my roommate and I are living in. I am moving out one month early and I switched the internet over to my new apartment already. My roommate and I are on bad terms and haven’t spoked in 11 months. I did text her a week ago, telling her to put the Internet box in the living room because it is a rental box with a EP number on it and that internet box is under my name. The reason why it is in her room is because the internet cable is in her room. I cannot go in and get it myself since she locks her room door. I am still allowing her to use my comcast Xfinity hotspot (WiFi option) since it works very well in our apartment until our lease is over but I need the box back. She left me on seen on iMessage and wouldn’t give me the box like I requested. So I screenshotted the evidence that she saw the message but wouldn’t give me my box back. Should I call the police on her and file a police report for theft? What would the police do? I told her to leave it in the living room but she wouldn’t do it because she is being petty. Again, I am allowing her to use my Xfinity hotspot until her lease ends so I was considerate by still giving her access to WiFi and not charging her for it.

I’m not being petty. I asked for it like 2 weeks ago in person, right after I signed a new contract at the other apartment and she walked away from me without saying anything. Then I messaged her and asked for it. But she left me on seen.  

I need the box back because it was a rental and I have a new box at the other apartment already. 

Hi. the local Police station will most likely tell You to contact a Constable, who will go along with You when She's Home & recover the box with You in person.

You will however need to prove that the box is Yours under contract, that the correct box is being removed from the premises, & that You only intend to finish whatever You have the Constable involved for - so once that exact business is finished You will no longer be using the Constable's services.

This is the exact reason Constables exist, to unburden the uniformed Officers from smaller disputes that can be simply resolved without involving the courts or weapons / extreme situations. That also includes serving any court papers necessary, etc..

If You don't have the Constable option in Your area, You'll probably want to either buy the box outright & re-sell it later, or simply sue the ex-roommate for the rental costs & fees the box is costing through Comcast, but buying it would guarantee that amount would not keep changing & You could finalize a lawsuit amount immediately for the court paperwork.

Quick note - The odds are that a building manager or owner may not have the room key easily accessible, or even might not have a copy of it, which is why You want to be sure She's going to be Home when You bring the Constable.

G'Luck!!!

• David

Message her again and threaten to disconnect the wifi if she doesn't comply. Apart from that simply inform your ISP of the situation

• Arthur Dent

Since he has already switched the internet over to his new apartment the internet box left at his old apt would no longer be providing any WIFI signal.  He could also talk with the apt manager and let them know the situation.  They can let him into the room so he can reclaim the box.

• P

Don't make this complicated or be a coward.    When she is home just walk in and take the router and walk out.   Don't bother the police with petty things you are too afraid to deal with on your own.  If she wants to involve the police then so be it.  

Since you want to involve the police in a roommate dispute I would suggest going to your local office at your first opportunity and ask to speak with an officer.  Show them what you have written here and any additional evidence you have and ask them what assistance they can offer to resolve this situation. 

The curious part of your story is that if you have already switched the internet over to your new apartment then the box in your roommate's room would no longer be receiving a signal from Comcast so it would no longer be providing WIFI for your previous apartment.  Of course this also means that unless you have bought your own Internet box you would not have internet at your new apartment.  Comcast would not issue a new Internet box until you have returned your current box.  You could always visit your local Comcast office and show them what you have written here and ask how much it would be to buy your current Internet box as it does not look like you will be able to return it and then pick up a new Internet box at that time.   

If you refuse to confront her face-to-face about the issue, then you're the one being petty.