Amanda asked in HealthMental Health · 8 months ago

Should I just quit? ?

Although I'm very grateful that I have a job and I like doing the things that I'm doing, I feel like crap working there. I don't feel like I belong there. I don't feel like I can trust anyone. I'm a hard worker & I don't feel like anything I do is even really appreciated & when people do thank me, I don't even feel like I can believe it. Also, there's this whole thing with this guy that I love. That's a long story, but he's really toxic & part of me just wants to quit & walk away from it all. I don't want to, but I just feel so hurt, I don't know what to do. I've been there for more than 6 years now. I used to smile all the time & now I just feel so completely emotionally broken by the people who work there & the customers. I switched depts in hopes that it would be better & it wasn't & is maybe even worse. I just worry that no place else will be better either. I just don't know what to do. Please help. Thank you 

Try looking for another job. I would hate to know that I work for a job I hated when there was a better job waiting somewhere for me out there. Many years ago I worked at a retail store. Montgomery Ward. And was, like most all of their employees, treated like a ditch digger! After 5 years I up and quit and went elsewhere for better pay and far more respect.

How long have you been in the workforce? That's what it's like at work for most of us. If you're emotionally broken by this experience you're going to be even more broken by what is to come. 

wow minus the guy part this is EXACTLY how i feel at my job! minus the guy part at the end

I had a job recently and i felt the same way. They made me feel like an outcast and it was at a "christian" university. The woman I was working under would yell at me because she forgot something. I decided to go to a chirstmas party to try to open up to everyone and not be so shy, but one of the workers took my seat after I had my jacket there to let people know that it was occupied. She made it clear she didn't like me. I got hired, I barley talk to anyone (because i'm extremely shy) and that's all it took for people to hate me. I will never go back even if they offered me a million dollars an hour. You couldn't pay me to be that miserable and uncomfortable. I would tell you too leave, it's never worth it to be stuck at a job where you dread even being alive while you're there. 

• Chanel

It is hard cos my manager said stuff exactly like you, he doesn't enjoy the job anymore.

You are not alone and it is sad cos if you do not enjoy the job it is bad for your mental health.

When I was 17 I had a really boring job and it got to me so much that one night I burst into tears.

I hope you can apply for other jobs where you live and nothing lasts for ever.

Maybe you need a holiday to distress from it all.

Get out of your toxic relationship and work on your self-esteem issues.  Everything else will fall into place.

Start applyinv for jobs elsewhere and when you get one resign from your current one.

A lot of dead end service jobs are like that, at first you’re nervous but over time you get better and make friends and your manager is praising you and you get into a good groove, but then the friends leave and the managers change and maybe you never get a raise that was hinted at. These jobs are designed for you to only be there a couple years max, because it just makes you sad to be there longer and it’s not like you’d even want a promotion if you stayed right. You should look into getting another job. 

i'm pretty sure you'll feel the same way anywhere you go. sounds like you need to learn to distance yourself emotionally from this toxic guy. on the other hand, youv'e been there six years so maybe it's time for a change.

how long ago did you switch departments? it's possible you're just frustrated by new learning requirements. but maybe the management is also toxic. all the same, most workplaces suck, you have to mold your attitude to the expectations and be happy with your life outside work (because work won't ever be fulfilling for most people).

Your expectations with regard to feeling appreciated may be too high. What lets you know you're appreciated is your pay check. No extra coddling or fanfare required ;)

Should you quit? Well, what better options do you have? If you're not sure, put out a few applications and go on a few interviews. You don't have to take a new job, even if you're offered one. It might help you see what you're missing, though. Or it might make you realize that you already have it pretty good.