Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Home thermostat. 2 days ago my heat was not working. The thermostat was blank. The batteries were good but I replaced them anyway.?

Still nothing. I looked in there and while there was not much greenish residue there was some, I used a dry toothbrush with baking soda. It was still blank.

I went to walmart.com and ordered a new one thinking it was dead. Then a couple hours later, it comes back up and has been working fine. Was that little bit of residue in the battery terminals the cause?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, that was it. Batteries can leak and cause what you saw. You cleaned it but it took a while to dry and give an acceptable connection again. I use wd40 to clean connections. Take the one you bought back for a refund. 

• 1 month ago

that residue comes from a leaking battery. good think you replaced them. yes, that could be the whole problem

• Login to reply the answers
  • Barry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes it was a bad connection to the batteries that caused the problem. Use only quality batteries and replace them immediately the low battery icon appears. Leaky batteries can easily destroy electronics.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.