Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Home thermostat. 2 days ago my heat was not working. The thermostat was blank. The batteries were good but I replaced them anyway.?

Still nothing. I looked in there and while there was not much greenish residue there was some, I used a dry toothbrush with baking soda. It was still blank.

I went to walmart.com and ordered a new one thinking it was dead. Then a couple hours later, it comes back up and has been working fine. Was that little bit of residue in the battery terminals the cause?

Yes, that was it. Batteries can leak and cause what you saw. You cleaned it but it took a while to dry and give an acceptable connection again. I use wd40 to clean connections. Take the one you bought back for a refund. 

that residue comes from a leaking battery. good think you replaced them. yes, that could be the whole problem

• Barry

Yes it was a bad connection to the batteries that caused the problem. Use only quality batteries and replace them immediately the low battery icon appears. Leaky batteries can easily destroy electronics.