if some people have false perceptions of you, what do you do?

like with me, in my past there was people who thought i was a different ethnicity and non white because i have olive skin, i happen to be white caucasian with Mediterranean ancestry, but these plebs in the past thought i was arabic, and i felt offended that they did!

i told them the facts that i was white with Mediterranean ancestry and not to misperceive me again! i told them off and was quite annoyed about it.

but what do you think you should do in situations like that with people?

also, i'm a male from britain aged 42.

• Foofa

If you think "Mediterranean" and "Arab" are mutually exclusive I'd invite you to look at a map.

not much you can do about it

"Mediterranean ancestry" can include many any number of ethnicities including Arab, you moron.

My nephews are Turkish but moved to southern California.  People would try to speak Spanish to them on a daily basis.    So what? 

I can't help you with feeling offended.   It just shows you don't care for Arabs very much.   No one can cure you of that except for you.

• Lv 7

i think the important question is, why does it matter what ethnicity you are? it doesn't change WHO you are.

i'm white, but if somebody thought i was Mexican or Russian or some other nationality or ethnicity (which has happened) i'd just laugh, shrug it off, and explain it to them with a smile. being mistaken for something else shouldn't upset you unless you HATE that something else, and hate is an illogical emotion, with no up side.

your energy would be better focused elsewhere.

besides, it's not as if they had some malicious intent for misunderstanding your ethnicity...

• Jerry

What I think is that you're a fool to take offense where no offense is intended. 

Somebody thought your ancestry was Arabic. The somebody thought wrong. It's up to you to either let the somebody know "No, my ancestors are Greek and Italian" or just let the somebody continue to think wrong. It's unreasonable to get angry with people for harmless mistakes. 

I would just try to be polite. I think its generally kind of rude to just assume someones ethnicity because often times people are wrong. Sometimes its pretty hard to tell. But as humans, I feel like we base our judgements on appearance, and ask questions later. My advice. Try not to take it too personally, just try your best to correct them and move on. Easier said than done sometimes. 

• hamel5

Don't really see why you're concerned with this stuff.  As Popeye used to say , "I am what I am and that's all that I am. 

Ethnicity isn't an accomplishment , so no reason to get insulted if someone guesses wrong.