Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

Help on fencing (sport)?

I’m writing a story and in one of the chapters the character has to do fencing.  I tried researching about it and i can’t understand it. 

Can someone simplify the rules for me but in a story like way? For example:

“Fencing is the art of ......you have to be graceful ..... “ also can you include some rules that make a foul 

If you try to write this chapter from a set of 'simplified rules' that some kind but misguided person were to write out for you, it would be very obvious to anyone who knew anything at all about fencing that you knew NOTHING.

Please don't do this. Re-think. WHY must your character be fencing? WHY make them do something you have no clue about? Re-write the plot and avoid this disastrous scenario that will only make readers giggle and say, 'Who does she think she's kidding!'

• Tina

Seriously. Could you change it to something you know a lot about - instead of fencing?

How much research did you do? Consulting one source is not research.

Fencing is all about the noises you make when you're doing it. You see, because the swords they use are so weedy and pathetic, the fencers have to make the sounds of sword against sword themselves. So, for instance, you go "TchTch Tch TchTch Tch Tch" a lot. Yes, it makes you sound like an idiot, but that's the least of your concerns because the uniform you have to wear is extremely silly and everyone laughs at you. Hope this helped with your fence question, and all that.

• Marli

Dewey Decimal classification 796.86  

Library of Congress Subject Heading: Fencing

Do I have to lead the chant every single time, people?

"Write what you know. Write what you know. Write what you know." Come on, everybody say it with me. "Write what you know."

That doesn't mean limiting what you write to what you've experienced for yourself. It means doing deep enough research that the reader can't tell what you've lived and what you've learned through research.

I used to sneak smokes when my kids were in school. That's how I learned a fencer lived next door. She was staying with my empty-nest neighbor to be near a fencing center where she was training, and apparently she was so good that someone other than her family was paying my neighbor for the room and board.

The fencer also sneaked the occasional cigarette and smelled mine. She'd cut through the woods (only ten feet wide or so, probably a former farm's windbreak) and we'd smoke and talk a little. She was quite shy and specifically did not want to talk about fencing, so we didn't. I wonder what became of her? I can't remember her last name.

If we write the rules and what constitutes a foul in a "story like way" then we're doing the writing for you. That is not how writing works. It is your job as the writer to continue doing research until you fully grasp the material and can confidently write about it. If you are not willing or able to do this then you have two choices: 1. Abandon the idea of the character fencing or 2. Stop writing altogether.

• Ludwig

No. Really. Give it up. Unless you can find some crowd that teach 'bayonet fencing', an d intend to take up a career as a serial killer.