Add insulation to attic with hvac unit?

So my wife and I just purchased our first home and we have been have serious issues with the house retaining gun heat. It feels like the split system is running all the time with temps around 30-40. The attic space looks very poorly insulated and I want to add some blown insulation. The problem I am having is the indoor unit is up there along with a good bit of plywood for it to sit on. How can I go about insulating the attic to retain more heat in the house. Is it safe to blow insulation right up to the unit? Should I build a wood box around the unit to protect it? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The concern IS NOT insulation getting into the unit,. It is sufficient clearance around the unit. The box could be a BIGGER problem than the insulation. This issue requires having a PRO actually LOOK at the installation.

You don't need to build a wooden box around the unit if it's not leaking it's not going to suck any of the insulation that you blow in but while you're blowing insulation in you want to put cardboard all around the outside of the unit. Then you blow the Attic then you take away your car board protectors and you'll be just fine

• Edwena

Your problem is too specific and complicated. Talk to some air conditioning and insulation experts and read up on the subject. You are going to need to know a lot to make the right decisions. Use batts instead of blown and add several layers, even over the ceiling joists. You can't do that with blown. You also have to provide for draft/air circulation of the attic (above the insulation) to prevent moisture build up. You also need to think about the insulation on your air conditioning ducts. Even removing and redoing what you can still get to. Lots of money spent on poor duct insulation. To get good answers, you need to talk to experts.

• Edwena
      4 weeks agoReport

Need to provide attic air circulation around the insulation. Air in at the soffits and out at the ridge row. Full length/ continuous in and out venting. Will need some cardboard dividers at key locations to keep the insulation out so the air is not blocked, so there is circulation.

It can't hurt.  I got 16" of blown in the attic and would add another 8 because it can't hurt.  It works for the cold weather as it does for the hot weather.  Talk in insulator blowers about it.  They know what to do.

Best to call a Heat and Air company and hire them to do the job.  You don't want to burn your house down or cause mold issues, or violate building codes, or a mass of other things that could go wrong in the hands of the unsuspecting if well intended DIY'er.

• Rick

call an insulation pro and ask him;  I'm sure they'll have a solution .........

Hi i'm instered Jacking you off

• ron h
      4 weeks agoReport

oh, man.  I missed this message yesterday when I had time...