Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

I had a thought regarding the brain, and was just wondering if anybody knows about this, or how this works, or maybe it has happenedto them!?

Questions regarding the brain and senses, I’ll have to start with a story... I know of a 6th(fear) sense, but I don’t think this is it... I was at work one night, in a mechanics shop late. I have a service truck running, it’s a semi, and a very large air compressor running on that, along with a loud torch and air tools, so loud I need earplugs or it will make my ears ring. But I had a weird feeling, so I took my plugs out, and listened, couldn’t hear anything, so I shut everything down and listened again. Couldn’t hear anything but I felt weird and didn’t know why, decided to go for a walk to the front, (across the shop, through 2 doors and a hallway to get there, quite far) I hear the quietest beeping in a small office on the far side of the lobby (just enough to barely hear it) I go over to the office, open the door, and I hear a work phone ringing... Question is, how is it possible that my mind knew something was up and told me to go to the front, even though I couldn’t hear it? Vibrations? Of some sort? I do 24/7 after hours/oncall, the ringtone on the phone going off, was the tone I use for emergency alerts for 911 if I’m hurt, it’s not good to hear this tone so it’s a big deal if it goes off. Anyways, sorry if that’s complicated but I think I got my point across, if anyone has any input, that would be awesome.

• Speed

I don't know the name for this, but our "Science Kid" explained it patiently to me like I was an idiot.

When you're young you hear all the sound frequencies you're supposed to. Your mind assigns some greater importance than others--the crying of your baby or the way they scream "Mommy!" when they're in trouble, the ringing of the phone, the blare of a car horn, the soft beep that says the coffee's done. It's based on pitch and tone, not volume, and if one of those important sounds is perceptible against a slew of background noises, your brain knows it.

I imagine you heard the phone ringing, although you didn't realize you heard it.

Later in life, if you suffer hearing loss, the person who fits your hearing aid should do considerable testing to determine where in the range of frequencies your loss is, amplifying only sounds in that pitch.

It sounds like the same kind of thing that lets you hear your own name - but nothing else - being spoken very quietly on the other side of a room where a loud cocktail party's going on.

Or a mother hears her baby crying when she can't or doesn't hear the front door being kicked in. 

if you cant rely on it 24/7 its not a sense, dont you think youre glorifying a random event?