Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Where do I leave my puppy when I go out ?

I have to leave my puppy alone in the next couple of days for around 4 hours as I have an important meeting. Where is it safe to leave my puppy. He is 13 weeks old. He has a crate but I don’t want to leave him locked up for a long time. Would it be safe to leave him alone in the kitchen?

If I leave him in his crate do I put food and water in and what about puppy pad? It’s a medium size crate

• Ocimom

4 hours is not long to leave in a crate.  Do NOT use puppy pee pads - only teaches the puppy to pee in the house.  Take the pup outside to pee before you leave and immediately when you come home.

Kitchen is a perfect place. If you don't have a door to close & keep him in there, you can use a baby's gate to keep him in.

You could also get an exercise pen that will fit him when he is an adult. If he isn't trained & you take him somewhere & leave him in the pen as a safety caution.

I leave me Basset Hound puppy alone in the cleaning closet with all the chemicals. 

• Maxi

First you don't HAVE' to leave the pup alone, you are choosing to..... you find a friend/family who can look after the 13 week old while you are away, or you pay someone to do that.

If you choose to leave it for 4 hours, then crate is the safest place, but you do not put puppy pads in it, they are USELESS and should NEVER be used in a crate or in the house as they teach the pup to toilet in the house..left in a crate the pup will shred & chew them and many of these disgusting pads have chemical gels in them that can harm the pup. You take off any collar, never crate a pup with a collar on for ANY length of time, as they can hang themselve and you will come home to a dead pup.... play, toilet outside, water in a non tip metal contained and bed...when you come home you ignore the state of the crate, you ignore that it has toileted in there ( and it will) you silently just take the pup outside to toilet and while it is out of the way you clean up the crate  and then greet the pup as if you have first come in.... and it is likely it has poo'd and it is likely it will be covered in it, so you will need to also bathe the pup...as pups of that age physically can't 'hold on' and wait, that doesn't start to happen until they are about 16-18 weeks old and by that time they should be into a routine ( per your training)  of always toileting outside

You put him in a crate. Otherwise, there's no telling what he could do. Puppies are curious and playful by nature. He could be injured if left free.

As the others said, crate him. BUT, do NOT put in a puppy pad. Crates are meant to mimic a den, a dog's natural sleep/safe space. They do not pee in their dens, they get up and go outside of it to do their business. If you put in a pad, you will be teaching him that peeing in it is ok and it could potentially undo the crate training. 

Give him a lasting chew toy for inside, a comfort stuffed animal, and maybe one of your old shirts that stinks like you. He should be fine.

• Jadelg4 weeks agoReport

Thank you, I thought it would ruin his training. My friends going to come round and stay with him instead 

The crate is the safest place for him.   Only leave in the kitchen if you're absolutely sure he cannot get to any wires or anything else. 

Do not leave food if only being left for four hours but always leave water but in a proper container that hooks to the side. 

Leave him in the crate and don' put anything in the crate that he can chew and choke on.He can go 4 hours without water and if he poos not a big deal.clean it up when you get home.

The safest place for him is inside that crate.

He will destroy the kitchen. Leave him in his crate and leave a radio on if you can’t find someone to watch him.

• E. H. Amos
      4 weeks agoReport

HE#L NO!!!!!!!!!!  No dog trying to become housebroken should be using PADS - (at all) and certainly NOT in his BED!!!!!