Why do atheists reject evidence that points to God?

I have noticed that most atheists reject the notion of God because of "no evidence."

Here I am asking why they refuse to accept our proofs of God, even though they have little proof of their own beliefs.

For actual evidence, you might want to look at https://answersingenesis.org/

Anyone that answers this question since this update. Please be friendly, and please refrain from name-calling. It's rude, it's unprofessional, and it's straight up demeaning. 

So, don't type anything that you yourself would be offended by. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Atheists think they're above God.

Most likely because there has never been any evidence or proof that such a thing MIGHT be even possible.  It is dishonest to assert as fact that which is not evidently true.  But that is exactly what religion does.  It tries to assert as fact things that we know are not possible.  By definition magic, the supernatural and deities cannot exist.  Yet religion wants you to believe in magic, talking animals, the supernatural and a magical immortal anthropomorphic being that spoke everything into existence with an incantation spell.  Not one single person in human history has provided proof and evidence of a god......ANY god.  That's just a fact.  Holy books provide no proof or evidence either.  The bible itself was written by over 60 different authors that we know of.  None of which can be verified.  AFTER the fact, and over an 1800 year period.  It's beginnings were wrought by ignorant goat herders that had no understanding of the natural world around them or how it even actually worked.  Religion is a lie.  Not only do you have to lie to yourself to believe it, but you have to lie to everybody else around you as well.  Religion is auto deceptive.  There is no truth in it.

• sk8terboy1963
      3 weeks agoReport

Negative Don Verto.  The supernatural does not exist by definition.  Only the natural world exists within reality.

• What evidence? I'm all ears

• Saad M

Because they are at the bottom of the scale. And even if they are educated: their instruction does not lead them to paradise.

When I say "no evidence", I don't mean theists don't provide any evidence, they provide plenty. What theists are missing is "good" reasoning of the evidence that they provide. For example, say I assert that without magical fairies there could be no existence and then tell you to look around to know that magical fairies exist, that is the kind of reasoning theists use. Another example is for explanatory purposes, we sometimes refer to DNA as a code, where the reality is that it is not a code, it is chemistry. Theists take our reference as a code to wrongly imply a Programmer is required when that is not the case at all. When theists believe they have a case for God, it is always for their God, which is usually poorly reasoned through their man made holy books of choice. I think it would be an extraordinary discovery if we had "anything" that reasonably hinted at the remote possibility that these magical, nature defying super Beings could exist, when in fact we have quite the opposite, we have things that would reason such Beings as impossible. I have plenty of Christian friends and relatives, where I even go to church with them on occasion, so I fully understand where they go wrong in their reasoning but at the same time see why so many people can believe. On the surface, there would seem to be an excellent case for any of the Gods/Goddesses people believe exist, but for a rational mind that can dig deeper, it all evaporates. I hope this helps you understand why you feel like you have a strong case but I cannot share your belief based on what I know. While you believe you have good reasons to believe the "claim" that your God exists, I find the reasoning of all theists to be severely flawed where on occasion when I discuss belief with some of my Christian friends, they agree that my reasoning is sound and have no rebuttal other than they just want to have faith that somehow I am wrong. I am always open to being wrong, but I need "better" reasoning than my own to convince me and to date there is none from theists.

• SBR32277
      3 weeks agoReport

connected as previously thought. If you want to make a case for any number of Gods/Goddesses, the low hang fruit is where you must stay. Any higher and your once thought of "good" reasoning, turns out to be not so good after all. Many ex-theists explain this much.

show me.......oh wait....you cant

When atheists use the term "evidence," they are talking about empirical evidence.  When theists use that term, they are referring to evidence that is not empirical--for instance personal testimony or the Bible, etc.  "I felt a miracle in church today" does not count as empirical evidence.  "The Bible says so" is not empirical evidence.  If you don't care about empirical evidence, you are free to believe in literally anything that you wish--like talking snakes, for instance.

• Peter
      3 weeks agoReport

Bulldog, do you accept that there is empirical evidence that man walked on the moon?

hearsay Is not evidence but religion is hearsay Alex

Thanks for providing mountains of evidence in your post. Oh wait....

• catbalou8
      3 weeks agoReport

@Peter: That would be CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence that a court would still have to prove. Someone could have stolen your gun and shot your neighbour. This is a weak argument. 

The Christian God is an ancient philosophical concept, contrived long before humanity learned to distinguish between subjective mental experience and objective physical reality.  These days, most atheists are scientists or engineers who rely on physical evidence to distinguish between hypothetical mental abstractions and genuine objective reality.  The sorry truth is that the Bible and other Christian "proofs" of God are merely intangible philosophical words, whether printed or spoken.  The genuine evidence that scientists and engineers can rely upon must be objectively real -- not just a linguistic rehash of ancient philosophical beliefs and superstitions.  The modern factual truth is that Aristotle was dead wrong about the nature of reality and no amount of pious incantations can turn mere words into a tangible substance.

• barty

I've never seen any proofs or evidence that weren't either logical fallacies or personal feelings. Face it, you have nothing that would convince someone who doesn't already believe.  And "I don't believe your religious stories" does not in any way require proof. If I told you that I had an invisible unicorn in my attic and you said you didn't believe me, would you be required to present proof of your unbelief?

If you have valid proof, why won't you present it?