Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Does my dog hate me for this?

I own a Boxer. He's a loyal, caring dog who has never shown aggression towards me. He never shows aggression towards other dogs either. He's good with children (when they visit) and my husband.

But today, I hosted a family reunion for my 30th Anniversary. Some of my grandchildren were there. My 4 year old granddaughter was petting him (admittedly, she was being pretty rough with him) and he snapped and bit her hand. He wouldn't let go, and he continued to clamp down as her screaming got louder and more high-pitched.

I hit him because I had no idea what else I could've done to stop it, because I know that Boxers' jaws lock. He let go after that, but he backed away from me, into his dog house, while snarling angrily.

I feel horrible for hitting him. Considering that he no longer licks me when I let him, and he avoids me when I walk into the room, I don't believe that this dog trusts me anymore. But I'm not sure if he'll try to attack me. Does he hate me now?

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately he probably hates you. Just like me Basset Hound puppy hates me. Sad but true. :(

If only for a moment someone could have seen the changes in the behaviour of the dog. He let out warning signs but no one protected he. As far as him hating you. No but the trust is broken and like all things will take time to heal.

Source(s): Own four dogs and two cats.

put it down. kindest thing at this point. if my dog was this much of a prick id take him out the back and finish it with a bit of lead piping

You are confused. From one instance a dog will not react like that unless the "rough" really threatened the dog. Because you deserted the dog then.

What did the kid do strangle it and grab at its eyes?

Is that what you call "rough" well you have to understand dogs play "rough' too. Why would you think the dog would hurt the kid if the kid is not hurting the dog?

You should've left the dog alone them because a four year old is old enough, if your four year old is stupid enough to torture a friendly dangerous animal its old enough to defend itself when the animal "plays rough back".

Understand? YOU aren't important enough to torture animals in your " child's training".

I’m more concerned that people realized the girl was being too rough with the dog and yet didn’t try to stop her. Kids need to be taught how to treat animals gently. Yes, your dog is probably very angry with you. And I would hope that the girl received some kind of scolding, as well, for mistreating the dog.

boxer is a smart intuitive breed...great loyal dogs...to be fearful of yours attacking you sounds almost bizarre,  your dog once trusting and loving......the question YOU should answer is why YOU permitted this dog who loved and trusted you to be abused by a four year old...... this dog is not a toy,  why did you not remove him from the four year old when she was being rough?  why did you insist the dog accept that handling?

I have owned many dogs, much loved dogs....never ever would I permit one of them to be roughly handled or abused by anyone, much less a four year old....shame on you.

this dog needs some basic training.

no dogs do not suffer from hate as we humans can

He doesn't hate you, he just doesn't understand why he was hit. You don't see one dog hitting another. & he is upset because you misread the situation but the dog did need to let go.

When ever I hear about a child being bit, I ALWAYS wonder what the child did to the dog to trigger a bite. There were probably warnings that the child did not heed & no one was paying attention to save the dog from the torment.

Since he bit a child, Animal Control may demand that the dog be euthanized. This was a hard way to learn this lesson.

If you aren't trolling, then this dog needs to be taken away and destroyed, because he will do it again. Are you stupid or what???