Bonnie asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

My dog (3yrs) was the runt of her litter and she got pregnant. Will she make it through labor?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Is she a Great Dane? A Doberman? A GSD? A Poodle? A Bull Dog? Is she a big dog or a little dog? She was the runt in litter of how many? No idea what she is or if she came from a large litter or a small litter. Do you know what makes a runt a runt? Is she deformed from being born too soon. Did all her organs & bones grow correctly.

Dogs don't just 'get' pregnant. Either you bred her or you did not protect her when she was in heat, neglect.

I have no idea how her reproduction organ have developed or if they are fully developed.

Have you had her to a Vet? prior to breeding her or since you have known she was pregnant. Some bitches have to have a C-section to deliver the pups & that runs into a lot of $$$$$$.

Her Vet will have to examine her to determine if she will have an easy whelp or need the surgery.

You not knowing anything about breeding dogs should hire a mentor to guide you through the pregnancy & into whelp & help you raise the pups to 8 weeks of age.

You can opt to have a gravid spay & end the pregnancy.

• Grace
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

Depends on breed and what kind of dog impregnated her

• 8 months ago

I'd suggest only if she was abnormally small and significantly smaller than the dog she was mated to.   So what if she doesn't 'make it through labour'.   That's the least of her problems - she may not even be able to carry to term.

I think you should be booking her in for a gravid spay - sooner rather than later - so you don't risk her health, let alone any puppies she might have.

Only top quality animals should ever be bred from which means those who conform to the Breed Standard and have been tested for the relevant problems within her breed.  Ditto with the male.

• 8 months ago

Ask the vet or your breeding mentor in that case

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

why wasn't she desexed if u had these fears?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

This is a question for a vet, not strangers online who know nothing about your dog.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.