Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Should I keep my dog away from them?

On Sunday I have to go somewhere between 10-5 and I was having my friend babysit my new puppy. She has a kid who allows him to bite his fingers and i’ve told multiple times to stop letting him bite his fingers and he keeps allowing this. I do not want my new puppy to learn this is okay to do. My puppy is 12 weeks old. I have someone else willing to watch him but they have to miss something to watch him instead. Should I allow my puppy to go with the kid?

Not a problem. I taught me Basset Hound puppy bite inhibition. Much like littermates would do; they make a loud noise to alert their fellow littermate when he or she has bit too hard. 

Young dogs always chew stuff. He'll stop.

• Ocimom

Not a good situation for either one.  Can you find another person to babysit?  From 10-5 is not a long time to even worry about a babysitter.  Just take the pup outside to pee/poop before you leave and then when you return, immediately take the pup outside again to pee/poop.  BTW be sure to crate/kennel the pup while you are gone.

• Grace

Your puppy could end up with a biting habit if this kid keeps doing this

Why does he need watching? Can't you use an exercise pen to leave him in while you are gone? Are you gone every day this long? Rather than chance the dog to someone you are not sure of, I would rather the dog stay at home in an exercise pen.

Hopefully your pup is still getting its puppy shots & it should not leave your home until it is completely finished off all three puppy shots. Pup should be around 16 6o 17 weeks old before you take it out into the public. This is to protect your pup from the deadly puppyhood diseases. You are putting this pup in danger every time you take it out of your home.

• katie3 weeks agoReport

I ordered a puppy exercise pen but i don’t have it yet. Also he doesn’t like to pee/poop on pee pads so i can’t leave him inside for more than 3 hours without having an accident on the actual floor. Also, i am home all the time it’s just this sunday i can’t stay home.

• PR

Supply a dog cage and the puppy should be in the cage. This will accomplish no peeing/pooping in the house, and no biting fingers. The friend can take the pup outside to potty, with brief play periods, supervised so there is no finger-biting.

The child MUST not allow the puppy to bite on his fingers, and the parent must enforce this or separate them with a gate. 

Even though this is likely "play biting" and all puppies go through this stage, a child should not be allowed to offer their fingers as many children may do. It may seem cute, but isn't a good habit to reinforce. Maybe, the parent can put some Bitter Apple on the child's hands/fingers.

I can't see this puppy being ruined for life if the kid/his parent allows this to happen over just 7 hours!   However, if the puppy happened to bite too hard, and the parent decided to report this potential problem, you may find yourself in trouble.   If on the other hand the other individual has no kids, but would just miss something whatever that might be, then that could be the better option.   Decisions, decisions.  All decided if you don't go out!!

Up to you.

Take the kid out back with a hickory switch before you leave.  Tan that punk's butt with the switch and remind him that there will be more of that if they mistreat your puppy again.  If the parents don't like what you've done, give them the same treatment.

• Verulam 1
      3 weeks agoReport

What ARE you talking about.   As I read this, the kid 'allows' the puppy to bite his fingers.  And that's NOT mistreating!!

I wouldn’t have the kid because if the puppy bites too hard, the parent can sue you and if the puppy is considered dangerous, it’ll be put down. 

• Jojo

Well...if  the other person is willing to miss whatever it is they will miss, then it makes sense to use them if they seem to be more competent than your `friend` with the kid. Your pup....your choice.