Tow asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 8 months ago

Do you think it’s "wrong" for parents to give their children super unique and creative names?

I feel they are an asset if your kid becomes an artist (because it sets them apart) but it might be a hindrance if your child chooses to work in the corporate world. What do you think?

I think it's stupid and selfish and a reflection of the obvious fact that parents that do it are stupid and selfish and too immature to realize that it's not about them - it's the kid that has to live with the name. It doesn't set your kid apart ti give him or her an awful name. Kids set themselves apart by distinguishing themselves in life. And there are many more noteworthy Johns and Marys than there are people with dumb names that some idiot teenage mom dreamed up. 

• L

A parent should never name a child which 'sets them apart'.....children will only make fun of the name and bully that child.  What sets a person apart from others is their personalities and behaviors.

• ron h

I think that parents who want to names someone a awful or "too cute" name should name their kid something normal, and get THEIR OWN NAME changed to the cutesy or misspelled name.

Well I named my son Garren which is not that unique and yet uncommon. And my name Skygarry is really unique. 

• Snid

Unique means existing as the only one or as the sole example.  This implies made up which is rarely good.  Sometimes people come up with something creative, different and cute.  

People grow with their names.  You get used to the names.  I do not believe a name is a hindrance.  There are a few exceptions.  Adolph is one.  Sometimes names are person or character connected.  This is what Adolph is.  Plus, not everyone thinks alike.  For example, I think Mabel is an ugly name but it's gotten some love recently.  I don't see it.

If you love a name, use it.

There is a difference between being classy and unique and just misspelling words or giving a child a name like Candida or Temptress to try to be unique.  (I'm a former nurse in Labor and Delivery and those are legitimately two names parents chose for their kids)  So nobody wants to be the 17th Ashley in a classroom, but on the same token they don't want to be teased because their name is Pineapple. There's an excellent book called Freakonomics that discusses this.  How certain names alter one's perception of a person and might shape how they turn out.  

When I see a creative name, I think that the parents were probably poor and didn’t have much else to give. Sure, some celebrities do this, but it’s mostly poor people. I have friends who have chosen their own creative names, but I think it’s a shame when parents impose that on a kid.

Totally depends on the name.. I've seen some really out there names that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!

It's not wrong, but parents need to think very carefully, because when they are older are they going to be called 'Uncle this...' or Auntie that...'

There are plenty of names from Classical Greece that are hardly ever used , such as 'Diomed(M)' or 'Cassiopeia(F)'.

It depends on how silly the name is. There are plenty of nice unique names out there. I like uncommon names over names you hear 4,999 times a day. I’m not one to think that Emma or Sophia is cute. I live in an area that those names are so tiring. But if popularity doesn’t bother you then go ahead and use those names.