Why does my weather station always read a lower temperature during the day?

I have a weather station that has an outdoor sensor for the temperature & humidity readings. It seems no matter where I put the sensor, the temperature will usually be inaccurate.

For example, in the mornings the temperature can rise quickly by a few degrees Celsius, but the temperature displayed on the weather station will always be behind by 1 or 2 C. Other thermometers I have tell me that the temperature has risen.

It seems the only time the temperature is accurate is in the evening, or at night.

Sensor placement is paramount to accuracy. There are standards on how to do it correctly. If your sensor is located on the shady side of your house, in the shade, it will not warm up as fast as one on the sunny side wall. So which one is accurate?

What are you using for a comparison?

A thermometer or temperature sensor should be in a cage or enclosure of some sort than shields it from sunlight without trapping heat or restricting airflow.

If you are using an open thermometer for comparison that may also be picking up radiant heat rather than purely measuring air temperature.

If you want a "feels like" temperature reading, use a black bulb sensor with just a sunshade, if needed.

It probably has a slow response time. My weather station is the same, it takes ages for the temperature value to climb.

• IOM

Check where your outdoor sensor is placed, sunlight, shadow, wind, surrounding surfaces, etc. Also, your sensor might be a bit off. Place a regular thermometer right next to your sensor and check any difference. You may be able to calibrate your sensor (depending on the model).