Why is this eBay seller ignoring my messages?

There is an item listed on eBay that is for "collection only," but I sent the seller a message asking them if I could make them an offer and they can put some of the money towards posting the item, but they still haven't replied to my message and it's been a day.

The strange thing is, the item is not huge. It's just over a foot long and weighs hardly anything. It's something that could easily be posted through the general post office. But they have it listed for collection only for some weird reason.

Not everyone lives 24/7 online. They may only check their messages once every day or two, especially if they have no home computer and are using the free ones at the library.

• John

You know you're right. "For collection only" sounds mysterious and unfathomable. How a person could ever understand what that means is real difficult for me, too.

I sent the seller a message asking them if I could make them an offer

Does the listing say Best Offer??  Then it sounds to me like you haven't given them enough time.  Or they're simply not interested.

If you are in the US, just over a foot long means special shipping requirements with the USPS. 

Maybe they have for collection only, because they don't want to deal with getting a box or going to the post office or wrapping the item so it does not break.

If you are dead set on the item, hire someone to pick it up and send it to you.

You can find errant people on craigslist, takle, or craigslist.

• Maxi

You are expecting too much and clearly your 'offer' is unacceptable...... what you could have asked if you paid the full package and postal costs if you won the item could they please arrange to send it to you, or pay for the full cost of packaging and you would pay and arrange collection of the item by a private postal operator....you have no knowledge of the situation the seller is in, maybe they are housebound, don't live anywhere near a PO, or a child who hasn't a clue about posting, someone who only wants cash when the person is collecting, maybe doesn't have a bank account or paypal

Some sellers just like being difficult with their buyers. That's why I avoid eBay like the plague, it can make your blood boil sometimes.