Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

My parents want contact with me now that i am married my husband thinks it is not a good idea please answer this is not a troll?

Long story when i was growing up i was emotionally physically abused by my parents my mom would pull my hair she would beat me with a baseball bat and she would call me ugly and said nobody would want to be with me and my dad would spank me till i cried when i was 18 i met my boyfriend saadhav we started dating 3 months after we met 3 years later he found out on what was happening to me at home and that i was being abused he took me out of my home and made me live with his family and i cut contact with them 7 years later we got married my husband is the best thing that could happen to me he rescued me from my abusive parents and because of him i am now a amazing mother to 3 sons and 2 daughters and now 4 years later i just got a call from my aunt today that my parents regret on what they did and they are now seeking counseling and want to see my kids. i don't know what do do i asked my boyfriend now husband (who rescued me fro my abusive parents) saadhav said that i should not because he does not trust them and he does not want them around my kids my kids might be hurt that they did not get to see their maternal grandparents. what do i do this is not a troll btw

Favorite Answer

Listen to your husband but the choice is ultimately yours to make.

Humans are imperfect.  They make mistakes.  And the ones who are really sorry about those mistakes are those willing to do what it ever it takes to be forgiven.  Your parents sound like they have been doing exactly that, not just sitting around waiting to be forgiven.  They can't prove themselves to you and your husband unless you give them a chance.  If they are in fact a threat to you or anyone in your family you will have good reason to keep your distance from them, but you have to give them a chance to prove otherwise.  One can only hope your own children don't hold you to the same standard because we both know you aren't a perfect parent either.  Nobody is.