Ramiro
Ramiro asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

There is no martial arts style that is better than another, just different skill levels, agree/disagree?

Favorite Answer

I strongly disagree with this naïve assertion. There are so many styles and they all have some differences, so some are bound to be better than others. A basic division is into Grappling-Wrestling and Striking-Boxing styles. I find Striking styles to be more efficient and learned more quickly than Grappling styles. No one has ever knocked me down, so I have never needed any ground work. Another division is Northern and Southern Chinese styles. Another Chinese duality is Internal and External styles Neigong & Waigong).There are also Chinese Buddhist (Shaolin) and Taoist (Tai Chi Chuan).styles. Japan has Bushi (Samurai)and Hinin (Ninja) styles. One difference is length of time needed to become skillful in a style. My Wing Chun Sifu told me that a good student can master the basic moves in one year. My Pak Hak Pai Sifu told me that learning the basics of his style requires 15 years for a good student. Anyone who claims that no style is better than another has studies very few to no styles.  

• Ramiro
      1 month agoReport

Thanx

Most champions in UFC are wrestlers. -Fact

• Russell4 weeks agoReport

Which is great, for sport.

Martial Arts for the Art, there is no one better than the other.

Martial Arts for Sport, all up to the artist.Martial Arts for self defense, absolutely some are better than others.

WWE is a little better

• Jea

Your teacher makes much more difference, than the "style" they teach.

At high levels, most martial arts resemble each other.

Shotokan karate, and Aikido for example.  Similarities are striking...and grappling.

• Jea
      1 week agoReport

I am not off Sandra, and had you any knowledge of the 2 arts you wouldn't have said something so very wrong.  Learn before you shoot it off.  What do you know of karate?  Of  aikido?  

It depends. Some martial arts aren't meant to be martial, they are simply arts. Some are simply martial and some are martial arts. You have to categorize the different arts, in order to, answer your question...

Also, combining different styles puts one at a huge advantage over a one style person. Unless, of course that person is a legit master of that art. Even still, they can learn more martial arts and become a more proficient fighter, naturally, of course. 

I disagree somewhat and the reason I do is because some martial arts focus on different aspects more or better than some others do. Judo is a good example of what I am saying and it is a good martial art but it is limited in that it does not normally teach you any kicking, punching, or striking aspects and can leave a person limited in some ways then. Some of your styles of karate don't include any throws or takedowns and ground fighting and then of course they leave a person limited in those areas unless they pick that up on their own or with something else. Then to top it off if an individual's skill, training, and knowledge is not good and that limits them even more a lot of times also.

• John2 months agoReport

Some weeks all we did was striking and learning how to throw people almost came second lol

Skill level doesn't mean anything if the teacher is not teaching correctly.  A martial must be taught in a way so that it's  functional.

I strongly disagree, in my opinion Jiu Jitsu is the best Martial Arts form because it has it all, upper game and ground game. There are so many Martial Arts styles out there that are 'Incomplete'. For example if Bruce Lee and his ridiculous 'Jeet Kune Do' style went up against Royce Gracie, little ol Bruce Lee would lose 9 out of 10 times. The End

I agree and would argue that MMA has proven this over the years as no single fighting style has maintained dominance.