Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 2 months ago

How to backup your drive's storage?

Just a simple question how do I copy an entire drives storage onto an external drive on my pc, sick and tired of all these sites giving me bullshit solutions

• David

Windows has its own backup software, which can copy an entire system or just your files

You will need an external drive capable of storing the data, I would suggest the same size as the internal drive

In the start search bar type windows backup and follow the prompts

• Lv 7

well, it's tricky, since it really depends on what drive you want to copy, and what it is you are trying to do.

if you just want to backup a non-Windows drive, like D: or something, just open the drive, press Ctrl + A to select all files/folders, right-click one, and click Send To > [your backup drive].

if you are trying to back up your Windows C: drive, i'm afraid it's not that simple. because of the way Windows is set up, without special software, you cannot just back up the entire drive while it is in use.

however, you don't really need to. because you cannot just backup and copy programs, you must reinstall them, so then the only thing you need to backup is your user files, which are conveniently stored all in one folder:

C:\Users\[your username]

just Ctrl +A everything there, then right-click and Send To > [your backup drive].

easy-peasy!

• WayneH

For years I've been cloning my hard drive(s) to an external USB drive.  Simple and effective cloning software is available almost everywhere.  I recommend getting it from the drive's manufacturer website as it's usually free.

About once a month a clone my hard drive.  In case of a catastrophic failure I simply remove the drive, insert the clone and done.  I may lose a few updates or files that were added between clones, but it's no big deal.

You get an external drive. Even a flash drive will do if it has at least 2Gb of storage capacity. You plug it into your USB port, and open it in Windows (Windows E). Open another window and browse to the folders you want to copy. Drag and drop those folders into the window showing your flash drive. it should start to copy them immediately. Just let it do its thing. When it is finished, you can drag and drop more folders if you wish. The best policy is to NOT copy any program files, only your documents and photos. That way you can access your external drive whenever you want and not have it try to store stuff in some storage program someone else invented. If your computer says the drive is still busy, after you have finished copying things, then simply shut down your computer before pulling the flash drive from the USB port. That way you won't fry anything.

• Addition - "Shut down Your computer (properly by the Start menu, not with the power / reset buttons)".

• P

Just type "backup" in the lower left search bar in windows 10.  Click "Backup settings" and setup the backup using the builtin windows backup tools.