Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 4 months ago

MacBook Air water spill?

A few days ago, water was accidentally spilled on my laptop. About 2-4 tablespoons. As soon as the water hit, the laptop turned itself off. I immediatley flipped it over and tried to let gravity do its job, dried the water off from everywhere and then put the laptop into rice for about 3 days. Today I put the laptop on charge. (made sure all the rice got out). When the spill happened, my laptop was at 2%. I assumed the laptop was out of battery as it had been 3 days since last used. I put the charger in and the amber light that indicates it is charging came on. However, the screen is still black. The laptop has been on charge for about 30 minutes now and the screen is still black. I have tried turning it on, pressed enter, moved the mouse around but still the screen is black. 

What should I do to get the screen to turn on?

• David
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately you made two mistakes, the first was thinking rice would help, in fact it does the opposite by increasing the time when you seek help from a technician. Second you attempted to charge and power it on. With a liquid spill an electrolytic corrosion starts once you apply power, this damages components and tracks

There is no DIY fix - take it to a tech with experience of Macbook  logic board repairs hopefully it can be salvaged if there is not too much damage. Don't bother with an Apple store they will just try to sell you a new one

• VP

You sir, must be a viewer of either Louis Rossmann or Jessa Jones! 😂

• Juan

That is the stupid game about gay power is a duel between two men suddenly comes a man stronger thsn other and for opus dei readons the other becomes a trasvesti then he was a matador and this wonan is looking for his next victim

Most likely the motherboard was fried by the spill.  You can take it to an authorized Apple repair shop for diagnostics and to get an estimate on repairs, but it will probably be cheaper to buy a new one.

• VP

AARCs aren't allowed to make board-level repairs. He's a "Louis Rossmann" candidate.

• IOM

You can either buy a new one (best option) or get it fixed by a qualified technician. 

• Brian

You should take it to a repair shop.

Did it fire up and the screen isnt working...or is the computer itself dead and there is no signal going to the screen?  Do you hear any fans or anything fire up when you turn it on???  Did you remove the battery when it got wet to make sure you removed any excess liquid?  It could also be the battery itself, that little light just confirms it is plugged in and charging (pretty sure both) but wouldnt indicate it the battery could not accept a charge. 

Figure out which one it is...

• farooq12194 months agoReport

There is no sound. I also did not remove the battery, my macbook does not have a removable battery. Also when it happened, I plugged my charger in to make the laptop turn back on, but at that time the light didnt even come on.