Should I partner up with her?

o here's the deal. I took a leap of faith and quit my job and am planning to start a social media marketing agency even though it's not my field of study (it's programming) so I have zero idea how to get results. Tonight, out of the blue an old friend from college asks me if I can build her a simple website and surprise surprise, she's starting one too. The difference is she's a marketing major so she probably has at least a little expertise. I was against partnering up with anyone but I wonder if I should propose a partnership.

you should start a business in something you understand and can keep up with even during bad times. If you are not thrilled about the service or product you are providing then do not bother and if you have started get out of it as soon as possible. I made the mistake of getting into a business with a girlfriend and turned out to be a nightmare. She had no business sense and did not know how to plan ahead for things. Thank god I only lost 1000USD in her idea. she ended up taking loans out and would not tell me what the shop earned or spent so that I can do the accounting. I had no knowledge of what everything cost and her shop never had what it needed to become profitable. This shop was in Cambodia and if she was willing to work with me we could have made millions by selling fertilizers, pesticides, soaps, and microloans to farmers

• Judy

That wasn't a leap of faith, that was a real bad move - how do you figure you have any chance to succeed? No, asking her to partner with you would only compound the problem, even if she is willing to. It will be tough enough starting out for her business to support herself, let alone support both of you.

you could ask her

What do you have to lose?  Its not likely you earn much of anything.

you could try asking her