Caulk around a 1-year old tub falling out. Can I just add a new bead of caulk?

Lowes did a full bathroom renovation for me.  This is a guest bathroom, and has probably only been used about 5 times in the whole year.  It has the fiberglass panels around the tub, instead of ceramic tiles.  The grout between the tub and the panels (and some of the grout around the panels themselves) is just falling out.  Can I run a new bead without replacing the remaining grout?.

Favorite Answer

Yeah why not? Better yet, silicone it? Dremel out the old caulk first though, fill in with mold resistant silicone (otherwise any new addtion layer will crumble)

agree with the 2nd answer

scrape the stuff out,clean the bead track  nicely,,then recaulk,,let dry a day B4 using the  tub

Pick out any loose caulk first.

evidence is that the wrong kind was used. best to scrape it out before using the correct product.

• Edwena

You need to remove the old one to maintain the pretty appearance of the calk line. If you can't then just bigger bead of calk over the whole thing will work fine.

• Snezzy

You might first check with Lowes and see if they will fix your problem. Historically they  have been known to correct problems that they could have by rights ignored.

If the caulk only lasted 1 year I would want it removed and replaced with decent quality caulk. I have seen some last many years.

• Laurie

Remove the old caulk first, or the new caulk will be sticking to crumbling caulk - not the fixture/tile... so it will fall out, too.