Why an x-ray just prior to consult?

I have a surgery date for reverse shoulder arthroplasty. In a few weeks I have to go to the hospital, have an xray then see the Surgeon in the clinic a few minutes later. WHY an xray at this stage?? I'm sure the Surgeon won't have the result when I see him moments later. All other tests were done.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

He wants a recent xray so he he can see whats going on and the xray results don't take long about 20 mins if he's right there to look at them.

• Kookai4 months agoReport

Imaging is further down into the hospital. The Dr. is in the Fracture Clinic, but if the results are digital, then he'll likely be able to see the results on a screen.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

X-ray results are available to the doctor within minutes of them being taken since they are digital pictures that can be stored and transmitted by computer. Blood tests need time for the pathology laboratory to carry them out, interpret them and write up a report for the doctor.

• Marc
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

First of all, the best person to ask is the doctor doing the surgery! He will answer and if he doesnt, run away. How do you know the dr wont see the xray? It takes about 30 seconds to develop a plain film xray if its old school style and instant if its digital.

• 4 months ago

They need to verify the condition of the shoulder joint just prior to your procedure. You wouldn't want them using old x-rays, would you? Of course not.

• Kookai4 months agoReport

There was an MRI done a year ago. Then a CT scan for surgery planning was done at the end of October/2019. So, this is why I asked WHY an xray?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

He may actually have the result minutes later. Everything is done electronically and accessed remotely. The radiologist's report takes a bit more time to be created and finalized, but the image will most likely be available.

• 4 months ago

It's to compare before and after x-rays of the shoulder.

• 4 months ago

A lot of hospitals today have digital xray equipment.  So instead of a film that must be developed, a digital image goes into the computer and a surgeon or radiologist can immediately pull it up on  his screen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.