Car will not start despite replacing parts. What could it be?

I have a Dodge Nitro Heat 2011, 3.7L, V6. Car is absolutely not turing over since last thursday. My husband replaced the starter solenoid and the battery. It is not starting at all. I believe our only options is the ignition, alternator, and a dealer kill switch malfunction. ALL PAYMENTS have been made on time, so I doubt they did it manually but I will call and ask. Car stopped working at my job last thursday, payment wasn't due until saturday. Could anyone have an idea of what could be going on? Thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

good god you are so f­ucking stupid

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Which is it?

It's not STARTING or it's not TURNING OVER?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Save your money see a mechanic it is the battery. A guy with an ear can hear it and diagnose it right away.

• 2 months ago

If the starter motor is not cranking the motor over the first thing to do is test the battery to make sure it's fully charged.Once the battery and cable connections are good try starting it in neutral. If that doesn't work it's time to pin test the electrical portion of the ignition switch. if there is power out of the ignition switch when the key is held in the start position you need to test for power into and out of the neutral safety switch which is also called the range switch. The wire out of the range switch to the starter solenoid needs to have 12 volts when the key is held in the start position.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • arther
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

your husband has no idea what hes doing tow it to a mechanic what if you replace the said things and it still wont start? If it doesn't have fuel pressure in the rail will the ecu let it crank? Find the starter relay jump it for a few seconds doe the engine crank?

plug in code reader look for faults does it have fuel?

• 2 months ago

Too many possible problems, but it sounds like you are just throwing money at it.   A skilled technician with a meter can find electrical problems pretty quickly

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This procedure is for a car that does not crank, that is, the starter is not doing anything when the key is in the Start position.

Charge the battery.  Replace or clean battery terminals.  Replace the start relay and the start fuse.  Try to start. No luck, try to start in Neutral.  Car starts, park/neutral switch is bad.

No luck, get a jumper wire and connect one end of jumper wire from the S terminal of starter solenoid (the terminal with the smaller wire connected) and with key ON, touch the other end briefly to the the positive terminal of the battery.  Starter cranks and car starts, there is a problem with the park/neutral switch, ignition switch, a wiring problem, a computer problem (if computer has something to do with starting), a security issue or the dealer has killed the car start system.  Starter cranks but car does not start, there is a problem with fuel pressure, spark, injectors or a security issue.  Check if the security light is flashing or staying lit while cranking.  If it is, there is a security issue.

Starter does not crank with jumper wire, get a jumper cable and connect one end to battery negative and one end to a metallic part of the engine.  Try to start using the jumper wire.  Starter cranks, check for a bad engine ground cable or connection.  No start, get a (thick) jumper cable and connect one end to battery positive and the other end to the B+ terminal of starter solenoid.  Try to start using jumper wire.  Car starts, check for a bad battery cable to starter, a bad fusible link (if there is one) or a bad connection at starter.  Starter does not crank, starter is bad.

Watch a professional mechanic troubleshoot a no crank no start car.  Good luck

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY4TzfacFkI

Youtube thumbnail

• Lady Lana2 months agoReport

thank you! we will try tomorrow

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.