does windows defender still work in windows 7?

i'm still using a windows 7 desktop computer and won't be able to upgrade to windows 10 for a while yet, i'm going to get windows 10 on another hard drive in this computer so i have dual operating systems.

however here tonight, ive got a message in the message centre on my windows 7 computer saying that 'windows defender needs to scan your computer'?   should i trust this message? does windows defender still function on windows 7 operating systems? or is this a dubious message?   here is the message;

Update:

thankyou to all who answered with your help.

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Pyrus
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It does, but its database are most likely outdated. If you want to keep using Windows 7, you'll need a third party software. I would suggest Malwarebytes, the free edition. It's basically the same as Malwarebytes premium except without the real-time protection (active monitoring if you have a virus somewhere or not). You can also use the Malwarebytes extension for your Google Chrome that will "real-time" protect you from sites that could contain malware, fraudulent information, trojans, browser hijackers, phishing, etc. 

As for Windows Defender, just run the scan from time to time to shut it up. It won't do much good, to be honest, because like I said, outdated databases, but you can't exactly remove it either, so just stick with it and download Malwarebytes, and its corresponding browser extension. I use both, so I know what I'm talking about :P

• 1 month ago

Windows Defender will work any place AK-47's are sold. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Dick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You people that hang on to dinosaurs are interesting to say the least. Win 7 was state of the art 3 major versions ago and was designed to deal with the software and the threats of 2009 and was improved over the years to deal with those problems as best as could be. Here's the real deal on Win 7: Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support didn't end until January 14, 2020. So it's been 5 years since MS truly was interested in really updating Win 7 and only provided minimal security updates as was necessary. Here's a way to think about upgrading to Win 10: If you were driving a old car that was breaking down all the time, and someone offered you a new car for free, would you keep driving the old clunker? That is really the difference here. Win 7 is that old clunker and the cost to you is less security in the world of 2020. You hang on to the old clunker because you know it's idiosyncrasies, and you are familiar with all it's knobs, levers, and functions. If someone offered you a new car, you'd take it and simply deal with getting used to those new idiosyncrasies, knobs, and levers and in respect to Win 10 you should do the same thing. Go for the new "model", deal with a slight learning curve and get over it. If you were a business and had to purchase new copies for Win 10 I could understand your hesitancy but I can't when it's a FREE upgrade to a much better overall operating system. Those that complain for the most part are simply complainers. Surely it's not perfect but neither is Win 7. Hang in there with the "clunker" you're using if you'd like but you're not really doing yourself any favors by doing so. That is JMHO. Good luck.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I say disable defender now and never install win10 on that machine. Win7 is very stable. IF you want win10, get it on a newer computer but don't ditch your old one. I'm pretty sure, you'll be going back to it for more critical jobs later.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Windows 7 has Windows defender built-in and you can upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10 absolutely for free by downloading the Windows 10 media installation tool.

• Pyrus
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Provided the installed license key on Windows 7 is not a pirate key :P.

• 2 months ago

Windows Defender is no longer going to be updated. Within a couple of months it will no longer be reliable protection because it will not have any new viruses listed in it.

Solution is simple. Download any of the dozen free anti-virus programs (AVG, Avast, etc.) and run them instead. Since the same progrema runs on Win 7 and Win 10, they will continue to update it. Problem solved.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Microsoft no longer provides definition updates for Defender on Windows 7. Time to move forward with Windows 10 or switch to Linux.

• Servus
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It works but Windows no longer gives support to Windows 7.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.